The Commission has an APS 6 short-term position available to 30 June, 2024 to work in the International Engagement Team to develop partnerships and business options for growing the portfolio, particularly in the Pacific. The person would assist developing a medium-term international engagement strategy for the Commission.
Location is Sydney (remote and flexible working arrangements are available).
Salary range is $85,825 to $98,079 pro rata + 15.4% superannuation.
Skills & Experience
Responsibilities / Duties:
Relationship management and strategy:
- Provide support to the Team Leader, International Engagement in developing and maintaining effective and strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including with other National Human Rights Institutions and regional human rights bodies.
- Identify potential areas of strategic alignment for the Commission’s international activities and under guidance of the Team Leader, develop the Commission’s international engagement strategy, to:
- to strengthen the Commission’s regional and international relationships and reputation;
- provide an independent and credible voice on the status of human rights in Australia; and
- increase human rights promotion and protection in the region.
Engagement preparation and execution:
- Identify and facilitate international human rights engagement and relationship building opportunities for the Commission, including through input into UN mechanisms.
- Work under limited direction to ensure the smooth preparation for external meetings, including conducting research, liaising with internal and external stakeholders and drafting quality briefing papers and talking points for Commission directors and senior executives.
- Develop and maintain systems and processes to ensure coordination, informational sharing and efficiency of international engagement activities throughout the commission.
- Organise and maintain filing and other administrative systems that maximise the effectiveness of the International Engagement Team.
- Contribute to projects in accordance with decided goals, timelines and budget, as directed.
- Provide organisational and logistical support for activities conducted by the International Engagement team.
- Other duties consistent with the above as directed.
- Good understanding of international human rights entities and mechanisms.
- Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to work with minimal supervision, to set priorities, to meet deadlines, to work effectively in a small team and to respond and easily adjust to changing work demands.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a track record of preparing clear and concise documents for senior colleagues.
- Well-developed relationship management skills, with a capacity to ensure that various stakeholder interests are recognised and managed positively and professionally.
- Excellent strategic planning skills including the ability to analyse options and make strategic choices.
- Proficient computer skills including in using MS Office, SharePoint and use of databases.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural environment or with people of different cultures
We value inclusivity and diversity and seek people who support and model the behaviours we promote in our workforce. We strongly encourage applications from First Nations Australians, mature workers, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, carers, LGBTQI+ and people with disability.
The Commission is committed to providing an accessible, inclusive work environment to enable people with a disability to participate fully in all aspects of employment. Applicants are encouraged to request reasonable adjustment as required to assist your participation in this recruitment process.
Please provide a resume and covering letter outlining your interest in this position. You are not required to address each selection criterion individually but should provide sufficient information to demonstrate that your skills, knowledge and experience are the right fit for this position. Please be accurate, succinct and show a clear connection with the selection criteria for the role.
For further information about this role please email Jo Mansfield at [email protected] using the subject line: Policy Officer - International Engagement enquiry via EthicalJobs.