Energy Consumers Australia is the national voice for residential and small business energy consumers. We’re a small independent organisation but we have a big impact.
In the next few years, the energy transition will be one of the biggest challenges and opportunities for households and small businesses, and you will be at the heart of it. You’ll be making a difference by amplifying the voice of consumers to influence decision-makers and ensure the best outcomes for everyone in Australia from the switch to net zero.
We are looking for a Media and Storytelling Manager to join our team.
Working in the small, close-knit Communications and Stakeholder Engagement directorate, you’ll be responsible for Energy Consumers Australia’s media liaison, media monitoring and storytelling.
The role involves managing Energy Consumers Australia’s proactive pitching and outreach and reactive engagement with the media, helping us to grow our reach and influence and amplify the needs of consumers in the energy transition. You’ll need to be comfortable creating the content and selling it.
You’ll be expected to get across the political environment, challenges and opportunities of the energy sector – you’ll have an interest but you won’t need to be an expert in energy (although you will quickly become one!).
For this role, we need someone agile and innovative who is equally comfortable being strategic and getting stuck in. You’ll need to be adaptable and able to pivot towards opportunities and change focus when the situation demands it.
You will work closely with other colleagues and external stakeholders across a range of projects in line with Energy Consumers Australia’s strategic priorities. It’s interesting, impactful work with a high degree of access to decision-makers. You will be results-focused, using your experience and expertise to deliver high quality projects.
Key Selection Criteria
- Highly advanced written and oral communications capabilities to communicate clearly and persuasively, tailoring communications to our stakeholders and to consumers. The ability to write in plain language and make complex issues accessible is a must.
- Visual skills – the ability to take a decent photo at an event or shoot a quick ‘talking head interview’ video on your phone.
- Driven and organised – you’ll have the ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritise tasks, manage a content calendar and meet the required standards and the budget.
- Proven stakeholder engagement skills – you’ll build and manage strong relationships, including with the media, to support the organisation’s advocacy agenda.
- Impact-focused – you’re focused on achieving the best outcomes for consumers from the energy transition. You enjoy using your skills to make a difference.
- Agile – you’re able to spot opportunities and shift the focus of your work when you need to.
- Calm – you’re comfortable with a media enquiry and the ‘circus’ of a press conference.
- Innovative and intellectually curious - you adapt to new platforms and technology, and you’re always looking at how we can work smarter.
- Hands On: We’re a small organisation and it’s ‘all hands on deck’ for everyone, including the executive team! You’re a ‘do-er’ who takes the initiative and does whatever it takes to get the job done. You also know when to seek guidance when needed.
of the role include:
- Producing and sharing engaging content – content that is powerfully effective, aligned with our goals and consistent with our brand and voice.
- Strategic communications – creating tailored strategies for selling our work – and executing them.
- Measuring, interpreting and reporting on our success - using a variety of analytics tools.
- Being a planner – knowing how far in advance you need to pitch for certain kinds of media and working collaboratively with the rest of the organisation to help meet deadlines.
- Managing our media monitoring and reporting – creating the daily digest of media that ECA staff need to know about, monitoring our brand and keeping track of the narrative.
- Thinking of fresh ways to tell our stories – working with the media, the rest of the team and with outside organisations as necessary to find case studies, pitch ideas and create content that gets attention for the right reasons.
- Relationship management – forming strong relationships both within and outside the organisation, leading to collaborations that advance our communications goals.
- Producing and promoting press conferences and live online events – such as webinars (experience desirable but not essential).
- Making a significant contribution to innovation and business improvement.
Remuneration and Benefits
The role is offered on the following terms:
- Permanent full-time position (1.0 FTE) or FTE 0.8 considered.
- Sydney location preferable (but we will consider if based in Melbourne or Canberra).
- Annual salary equivalent to $110,000- $130,000 (contingent on experience), exclusive of superannuation.
Additional Benefits include:
- Modern Sydney or Melbourne based offices.
- Flexible working arrangements (generally 3 days in the office and 2 days working from home – but you may need to come in to supervise media interviews etc. at short notice)
- An additional five ‘ECA leave’ days on top of four weeks annual leave.
- Excellent learning and development opportunities including access to world class experts in energy.
- On the job mentoring.
- A strong work culture which is results and impact orientated but supportive and nimble.
Energy Consumers Australia promotes diversity. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. Applicants must have the right to live and work in Australia to be considered for this job.
As part of Energy Consumer Australia’s recruitment process, a background check will be conducted as part of the reference checking process.
We request no agency contact please.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit:
- Your resume, including links to any relevant examples of work you think we should see
- Cover letter
Please click Apply now to submit your application.
For any further information or questions, please contact us via [email protected], using the subject line: Media and Storytelling Manager - Sydney / Melbourne enquiry via EthicalJobs.
We recommend applying ASAP as we will be reviewing applications as we receive them.