Government Relations and Policy Advisor (3 days a week)
- Part-time hybrid role with 1 day a week in our Richmond office
- 5 weeks annual leave pro rata
- Salary packaging benefits
CBM Australia is a Christian international development organisation focused on ending the cycle of poverty and disability. Through our programs, technical advice, and advocacy, we help millions of people transform their lives each year. As Australia’s only international development organisation focused on disability inclusion our work improves the quality of life of people with disabilities living in the poorest countries.
Partnering with local organisations we build and promote an inclusive world in which all people with disabilities enjoy their human rights and achieve their full potential.
About the role
We have a rewarding opportunity for an experienced Government Relations and Policy Advisor to join CBM Australia.
Your duties will include, leading government relations and advocacy strategies, managing relationships with key stakeholders, and engaging in policy development and analysis.
Reporting to the Head of Policy and Advocacy, you will be working within a dedicated and close-knit team of 4.
- Build, maintain and document relationships with key stakeholders including DFAT, government actors, disability advocates and political targets.
- Develop and implement key strategies for government relations and political engagement overall and during key periods, including budgets and elections.
- Represent CBMA on 1-2 sector or coalition working groups/ fora.
- Effectively manage and mitigate risks in relationships.
- Develop campaigns for key events that are aligned with organisational strategies – ie: the development and implementation of the new international Disability Equity and Rights Strategy.
- Manage budget, stakeholder liaison and contractors to achieve campaign objectives.
- Liaise with and support Head of Policy and Advocacy to implement, monitor and report on CBMA’s emerging engagement plans.
- Work collaboratively with all departments to ensure inclusive development is captured and advisory, advocacy and programs are building CBMA’s Brand.
- Maintain Phoenix database and contribute to monitoring, evaluation and learning of political engagement and advocacy.
- Develop communication strategies and advocacy plans to achieve objectives.
- Provide back-up support to relationships held by manager including with CBM Global and sector coalitions.
- Increased awareness of international disability equity and rights within primary and secondary political targets.
Please refer to the full Position Description for more details.
We want someone who is proactive, confident, creative, and able to bring new ideas to support the achievement of our objectives.
This role would be perfect for someone who is innovative, with excellent stakeholder management skills, and a strong background in developing and implementing advocacy initiatives.
Interstate travel will be required on an ad hoc basis.
To be considered for this role you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in Political Science, Public Policy, International Development, or a related field.
- A minimum of three years demonstrated experience in government relations, ideally focused on advocacy.
- Excellent advocacy, stakeholder engagement/management, campaign, communication, and written skills.
- A strong ability to write at speed for different audiences as well as the ability to negotiate changes clearly and effectively with technical experts, authors, and designers.
- Ability to meet deadlines and budgets.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills.
- Demonstrated proactive attitude with an ability to find new direct contact details for government actors, politicians, disability advocates to approach about creating beneficial relationships for CBM.
- An understanding of rights-based development approaches (desirable)
- Passion for the mission of CBM Australia and alignment/comfort with being part of a faith-based organisation.
- Applicants with lived experience of disability will be highly regarded.
What we offer:
- The chance to make an impact that matters in a team of like-minded professionals.
- Flexible working arrangements
- Hybrid role with 2 days in the office.
- 5 additional days of leave
- Salary packaging up to $15,900 + up to $2,650 for meals and entertainment.
- 8 weeks paid parental leave.
- A work environment and values-driven culture that employees state in their feedback, is one of the most inclusive, caring, and enjoyable that they have ever worked in.
If you meet the above criteria, please submit your resume and a cover letter responding to the selection criteria via the Apply Now button.
Applications will be considered as soon as they are received.
CBM Australia is committed to workplace equity and diversity and encourages applications from candidates with diverse cultural backgrounds and people with lived experience of disability. Please contact [email protected] using the subject line: Government Relations and Policy Advisor enquiry via Ethical Jobs for confidential support to ensure an equitable, barrier-free application process. We ensure that any information provided to the contact is private and confidential, will only be used to provide accommodations and will in no way determine the outcome of an application.
CBM Australia is committed to the safety and best interest of all children accessing CBM supported services and programs and workplace. Preferred candidates are advised that they will be required to sign the CBM Child Safeguarding Standard, and we reserve the right to conduct police checks and other screening procedures prior to employment being confirmed.
A position description is attached.