BRQ provides information, advice, advocacy and free legal services statewide in relation to social security, disability discrimination and women in the workplace. Advice is provided to all, casework, including representation, is provided only to vulnerable clients who are unable to advocate for themselves.
BRQ undertakes community legal education activities to assist people to understand their rights and legal processes and to provide community workers with the knowledge they need to support their clients through them.
BRQ are guided by the following Values:
ABOUT THE JOB
The Senior Solicitor – Discrimination, Employment and Human Rights is responsible for BRQ’s Disability Discrimination and Employment (Mental Health) services, providing oversight, direction, mentoring and training and being accountable for the effective delivery of a trauma informed legal services, including review and sign off on legal advice.
The position involves providing client advice, casework, representation, referrals, community education activities, and advocacy in matters involving disability discrimination, employment and human rights.
- A current unrestricted Queensland Law Society practicing certificate;
- At least three years post admission experience in Discrimination, Employment and Human Rights;
- Previous experience in supervising legal advice and casework services highly regarded;
- Experience advising and representing people in relation to discrimination, employment, human rights;
- Commitment to social justice principles, including an understanding of the issues and concerns for people accessing community legal services, cultural competence, an understanding of intersectionality and trauma informed practise;
- Understanding of the professional obligations of an Australian Legal Practitioner, and the process for responding to breaches;
- A high level of attention to detail, and the ability to use an online systems to record accurate and timely client information;
- Written and oral communication skills of a high order with particular skills in advocacy, mediation, dispute resolution and representing clients at tribunals, commissions and court level;
- Capacity to liaise with the legal profession and maintain appropriate networks that will benefit the work of BRQ; and
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office software, specifically Outlook, Word, and Excel and a good working knowledge of IT systems and processes.
WHY CHOOSE BRQ?
- Generous Enterprise Agreement based on the SCHADS Award with above award conditions including two weeks additional paid leave for closure over the Christmas/New Year, salary packaging, and TOIL/Flex provisions.
- Brisbane city location.
- Supportive team culture and values-based environment
To submit your application, click Apply Now.
To discuss the role please contact BRQ’s CEO, Kara Cook – [email protected] – using the subject line: Senior Solicitor – Discrimination, Employment and Human Rights enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.