Barkly Regional Arts seeks a Program Manager to assist in delivering an exciting and adventurous artistic program in 2024.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Program Manager takes a leading role in the delivery of Barkly Regional Arts’ 2024 artistic program working with Visual Arts, Events and Music teams located in Tennant Creek and across the Barkly. The Program Manager will work with our existing team members to deliver a packed, vibrant and exciting arts program across 2024.
- Work with Visual Arts Manager to deliver the annual program for visual arts and take a leading role in the delivery of many aspects of the program.
- Liaise with program teams and other major stakeholders to develop and implement Barkly Arts’ annual artistic program, including creative projects that are consistent with the strategic plan.
- Manage and maintain strong and productive relationships with all stakeholders including artists, partner galleries, peak industry bodies, funders, and community leaders.
- Ensure the effective and protocol-compliant representation of artists.
- Work with Visual Arts Manager to maintain oversight of artwork stock, ensuring that works are directed to the appropriate sales channels, be it exhibitions, fairs, gallery consignments, online or through our studio gallery in Tennant Creek.
- Support artist’s creative development, including day-to-day facilitation, arranging workshops, brokering exhibition opportunities, entering art prizes, and securing travel opportunities to industry events and exhibitions.
- Take a leading role in the delivery of arts worker/ artist development programs.
- Supervise and coordinate visiting artists and workshop practitioners as required.
- Promote artist development in art centres.
- Support in identifying and applying for funding options for visiting artists workshops, employment opportunities, and professional development opportunities for artists.
- Support in identifying opportunities for bringing a new generation of artists to the art centres.
- Promote arts worker development in remote communities, including mentorship and empowerment of arts workers through training and collaborative decision making.
- Work to build and maintain a strong relationship between Barkly Regional Arts and remote artists.
- Work to build and maintain a strong relationship between Barkly Regional Arts and other services in remote communities, including identifying possible collaborations.
- Work with arts workers to maximise functionality of remote art centres.
- Support in the delivery of events in remote communities.
- Gather information from artists to assist in updating artist biographies.
- Work with the Visual Arts Manager to identify and implement sustainable systems to support the long-term success of the outreach program, including the management of works and materials in remote communities.
The successful applicant will be a self-starter, relationship-focused and can demonstrate a sustained commitment to hard work and the maintenance of high professional standards. You love a challenge, are adaptable and flexible and able to pursue avenues of creative problem solving in a challenging socio-geographical context. You are highly personable and capable of building and maintaining relationships with our stakeholders including artists, customers, and other community members.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Arts related university level qualification or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Indigenous Visual Arts sector.
- Strong track record of creative and commercial success at an arts organisation.
- Experience collaborating with Indigenous artists and maintaining strong relationships with artists over extended periods.
- Experience collaborating with stakeholders to deliver successful arts programs and projects, including exhibitions and events.
- Strong track record of preparing successful grant applications.
- Experience working in a remote context.
- Experience working in an art centre setting.
- Technical understanding of art and art making.
- Experience working with creatives in a creative environment.
- Team leadership experience.
ABOUT BARKLY REGIONAL ARTS
Barkly Regional Arts is the hub for arts in the Barkly, a region that covers an area of around 322,717 square kilometres of Australia’s Northern Territory.
We collaborate with remote Indigenous communities to foster access, development, and recognition of arts in the Barkly. From our visual arts and music studios in the heart of Tennant Creek, we do outreach with the area’s remote communities, producing art and music that tell the stories of the Barkly.
Art made here is significant not just as a way of preserving culture, but also a means by which the community can come together, celebrate culture and Country and, not least, earn income. The work of our artists reflects the remote desert landscape, portraying the charm and magical beauty of this region.
- $75,000 - $85,000 + super and 17.5% leave loading
- Salary packaging
- Six weeks annual leave
- Housing options provided
- Vehicle for professional and some private use provided
To apply click "Apply Now" and follow the instructions.