The Australian Marine Conservation Society is the voice for Australia's oceans. We are an independent not-for-profit charity. We deal with the big issues concerning the sea, working with the community to protect our marine wildlife, tackling major threats to our oceans and creating marine sanctuaries, places in the sea where sea life is safe from harm.
We are a committed group of professional and passionate scientists, educators and advocates who have defended Australia's oceans since 1965. Check out this short video highlighting some of the key impacts we’ve achieved for our oceans.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Community Organiser (WA) works to build a community of active ocean defenders in Perth and in key regions who can help inspire important sections of the community to actively support ocean conservation for the incredibly biodiverse Western Australian coastal and marine environment.
- Build community engagement to support conservation of the State’s world-class marine environments and its extraordinary wildlife; places like Exmouth Gulf, and Ningaloo.
- Recruit, inspire and retain volunteers to actively engage in on-ground activities to support campaign objectives.
- Train volunteers to organise on-ground campaign activities, including stalls and events, phone banking, door-knocking and MP meetings (with appropriate training materials).
- Facilitate volunteer meetings, events, onboarding and training in the field where required.
- Engage with a diversity of stakeholder groups and businesses to build broad support.
- Develop and deliver supporter communications.
- Participate in a strong team culture of experimentation, evaluation and learning.
- Manage the collection, tracking and administration of volunteer and community group data and documents.
- Provide support for campaign activities and general tasks as needed, including support for the online shop and merchandise administration.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE
Essential Selection Criteria:
- Relevant experience in community engagement and/or community campaigning.
- Understanding of community organising principles and practice.
- Ability to connect easily with people from all walks of life and a keen willingness to collaborate with others (individuals, groups and alliances), including the core campaign team.
- Ability to speak confidently in front of groups and to motivate people to act.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated planning, project management and volunteer leadership development skills, supported by excellent organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong digital literacy.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously, with limited supervision.
- Some local and regional travel will be required so candidates will need to have a valid driver's licence and the ability to travel with their own transport.
- Commitment to upholding AMCS’ values and to protecting our oceans.
Desirable Selection Criteria:
- Familiarity with contact management using CRM systems or databases (Salesforce experience will be highly regarded).
- Experience working in conservation in Western Australia.
WHY WORK WITH US
You’ll play an important role in protecting our oceans. You will be part of a committed group of passionate advocates who have defended Australia’s marine environment for almost 60 years. We care about our team and creating a supportive workplace.
What We Offer:
- Superannuation contribution of 12%
- Genuine flexibility around work hours and location (where possible)
- 20 days of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time), plus additional days over the holiday period
- 10 days of personal leave (pro-rata for part-time)
- Additional paid parental leave (subject to eligibility conditions)
- Flexibility with public holidays, as well as time off to support related conservation and community initiatives
- Opportunities and support for training and professional development
- Regular all-team meetings and annual in-person team retreat
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program, a free and confidential counselling service
If this role sounds like you we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Applications may be assessed as they're received. Please click "Apply Now" and follow the instructions.
Please see attached for a full position description and further details on the role. For more information on our work and our people please visit our website.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Australia. That is, you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen, or hold a valid visa with permission to work on an ongoing basis.
- Applications must include a cover letter addressing the selection criteria, or it may not be included for further review.
AMCS is a strictly non-partisan and an equal opportunities employer. We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with a disability, LGBTIQ+ people, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia. That is, you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen, or hold a valid visa with permission to work on an ongoing basis.
A position description is attached.