Minister Shane Rattenbury, ACT Greens Leader, Member for Kurrajong, Attorney-General, Minister for Energy, Water, and Emissions Reduction, Minister for Consumer Affairs, Minister for Gaming.
ACT Greens Minister Shane Rattenbury is seeking a Media and Communications Advisor for his Assembly office, and to work as part of the communications team.
Key duties are media relations and content development, including:
- Providing high-level strategic and operational communications and media advice to the Minister in his portfolios and in his role as the leader of the ACT Greens in the ACT Legislative Assembly
- Manage relationships with media stakeholders, including national media, with an aim to promote the Minister’s portfolio work and build profile
- Anticipating, identifying, and analysing major issues and preparing appropriate responses or strategies for the Minister
- Writing media releases, and responses to media inquiries
- Engaging intentionally and proactively with Directorates and other stakeholders to identify, plan and manage the Minister’s communications opportunities and events
- Ensuring the Minister is across whole-of-government media issues, and brief other offices as appropriate on issues of media interest
- Using a range of channels to engage Canberrans in the political process and bring their voices into government decision-making
- Supporting the Minister to engage with constituents in his electorate
- Working collaboratively with the communications team
- Supporting development and implementation of long-term communications strategies
- Facilitating government transparency and accountability by proactively and reactively providing information to constituents, community stakeholders and the media
- Applying evolving best practice in writing, photography, graphic design, and video production to create impactful content
- Working as part of a team committed to ecological sustainability, social justice, peace and non-violence and grassroots participatory democracy
- Monitoring daily local political landscape
- Contributing to a positive and inclusive work environment and culture where all staff are valued and respected.
- Other duties as directed.
- Strong writing skills, with demonstrated ability to translate complex or technical language into information of use to the broader community.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop and maintain constructive relationships with a variety of stakeholders in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrated experience in media relations, developing responses to enquiries, writing media releases and arranging media events within tight deadlines (5+ years is desirable).
- Skills in content development, including written, video and social media content.
We want to ensure this range of skills is covered by the team as a whole, so please tell us about your particular strengths.
- Aptitude for thinking politically and strategically to achieve the goals set out by Minister Rattenbury and the ACT Greens MLAs. This requirement includes having a knowledge of, or interest in, the processes of the Legislative Assembly.
The position is available from July 2023 until the end of this term of Government (November 2024).
The role is set at Adviser Level 1 (upper) at $82,566 - $86,615 depending on experience, plus 7% allowance, and superannuation.
The successful candidate will be engaged under a Legislative Assembly Members’ Staff contract, and other terms and conditions of employment are governed by the ACT Legislative Assembly Members’ Staff Enterprise Agreement 2021 – 2022. This is not an ACT Public Service position.
Applications from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and people with disability are encouraged.
The role is based in the Legislative Assembly, however flexible arrangements will be supported where possible.
For more information about this position please contact Fiona Walls on 02 6205 0248.
A position description is attached.