- 30.4 hours per week, fixed term to 30 June 2023
Social Security Rights Victoria (SSRV) is an independent, state-wide community legal centre that specialises in social security and related law, policy and procedure. Our vision is for a fair and just society in which all people are able to receive a guaranteed adequate income in order to enjoy a decent standard of living. SSRV’s team of legal and other professionals provide legal services to vulnerable and disadvantaged Victorians, and those who support them, which assist them to secure and protect their right to equitable social security entitlements.
This Community Lawyer works as part of a small team in a community-based legal practice. The position has some focus on social security related legal service delivery to Victorians affected by bushfires and other disasters and will contribute to the disaster legal need preparedness and response initiatives being undertaken by SSRV.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of relevant legislation, policy, practices and resources relevant to the role.
- Provide high quality legal information, advice, casework and representation services.
- Provide secondary consultation and casework support to other professionals who are assisting their clients with social security matters.
- Maintain accurate and current client records and an appropriate case management system.
- Contribute to disaster legal need analysis, preparedness and response initiatives.
- Participate in regular supervision, casework, professional development and staff meetings.
- Contribute to stakeholder engagement and the development and delivery of community legal education activities and resources.
- Contribute to identifying and responding to systemic trends and issues arising from casework and stakeholder engagement.
WE ARE SEEKING
- Qualified legal practitioner, eligible to practice in Victoria, with understanding of and/or capacity to develop expertise in relevant areas of law and practice, specifically social security and administrative law.
- Sound legal casework skills and experience in providing representation in courts/tribunals.
- Experience in working and developing effective relationships with clients and other stakeholders from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible and proactive, with strong organisational and time management . including ability to manage competing demands, prioritise tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Competence in use of Microsoft Office programs and experience in using databases.
Enquiries about the position - (03) 9481 0299 or [email protected] using the subject line: Community Lawyer enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.