“What’s your favourite 90s jam?”
No, we haven’t suddenly become interested in whether you were a Nirvana tragic or a Spice Girls wannabe.
Rather, that was actually a very real interview question asked last year by US website creation platform, Squarespace.
Why would a company would ask such a strange question?
The main reason for these sort of questions is an interviewer who wants to see if you can think on your feet. They know that you’ve probably spent days preparing for all the usual questions – so they’re trying to catch you off guard and see how you react.
Recently, serial weird-question offender, Google, categorically stated that these questions don’t work – at least not for them – yet some organisations still insist on asking them.
While it’s not as likely that you’ll be asked these sorts of weird and wonderful questions while interviewing for an ethical job – it seems to be mostly large corporates or tech companies that love them – it’s a good reminder that while there are no right or wrong answers, it’s important to keep your cool and be prepared for whatever questions might be thrown your way in your next job intereview.
So, without further ado, here are the other strange interview questions – and the employers who asked them – that made it into the Top 10 List for 2014:
- “What would you do if you were the one survivor in a plane crash?” – Airbnb
- “If you woke up and had 2,000 unread emails and could only answer 300 of them how would you choose which ones to answer?” – Dropbox
- “Who would win in a fight between Spiderman and Batman?” – Stanford University
- “If you had a machine that produced $100 dollars [a day] for life what would you be willing to pay for it today?” – Aksia
- “What did you have for breakfast?” – Banana Republic
- “Describe the colour yellow to somebody who’s blind.” – Spirit Airlines
- “If you were asked to unload a 747 full of jelly beans, what would you do?”– Bose
- “How many people flew out of Chicago last year?” – Redbox
- “What’s your favourite Disney Princess?” – Cold Stone Creamery
Have you ever been asked a strange or funny question in a job interview? We’d love to hear about it in the comments below!