Young Assets Foundation is currently recruiting volunteer tutors for the Fitzroy Youth Homework Club!
The Fitzroy Youth Homework Club is an after-school program that provides a learning space and tutoring support for high school and university students from refugee and migrant backgrounds. The program is run after-school from Monday to Friday in Fitzroy.
Volunteer tutors attend one two-hour Homework Club session each week of school term to help students with their homework and assignments. Volunteer tutors are supported by the Homework Club Coordinator and ongoing training opportunities.
Young Assets Foundation is a youth and community organisation that empowers young people by creating spaces, opportunities and training for them to lead and implement change.
Position summary and volunteer responsibilities:
- The volunteer attends one 2-hour session each week to provide tutoring assistance to students that attend the Fitzroy Youth Homework Club
- Provide one-on-one and group tutoring support to students
- Develop positive and appropriate working relationships with students
- Be a positive role model to the young person and act professionally and appropriately
- Keep any information that involves the students as confidential except where it may cause harm to themselves or others
- Ensure that the spaces used are respected by students
- Report to the program manager any pertinent information regarding students and tutors as required
- Abide by the program’s policies, including the Child, and Youth Protection Policy
Key Selection Criteria:
- Commitment to and interest in supporting young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds.
- Ability to work sensitively and appropriately in a culturally diverse setting.
- Ability to work within the boundaries of the volunteer role and the program, including identifying issues to be escalated to staff.
- Ability to be self-reflective and to receive and respond to directions and feedback from YAF staff
- Ability to use competently Microsoft Office and online platforms including zoom
- Well developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in providing homework help and or tutoring VCE students would be highly regarded
- Knowledge of at least one of the following VCE subject areas: English, EAL, Chemistry, Maths Methods, Physics, Biology, Health and Human Development, Legal Studies, Psychology
A position description is attached.