- Aboriginal people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Yorgum was established in 1991 by a group of Aboriginal women, some of whom worked in women’s refuges, who were concerned about the lack of appropriate counselling support for Aboriginal people experiencing spiritual, emotional and psychological pain. They founded a service with a ‘healing’ approach rather than an ongoing, crisis-driven ‘patch-up’ approach.
Yorgum offers all Aboriginal people and their families autonomous, community based healing services that are culturally secure, trauma-informed and work within an Aboriginal Family Worldview.
This position is responsible for providing counselling, support and advocacy to eligible Aboriginal clients and their families who have been directly affected by being forcibly removed and separated from their families and culture through past Government policies.
APPLICANTS MUST DEMONSTRATE HOW YOU MEET THE SELECTION CRITERIA LISTED BELOW:
- A Diploma of Counselling, or higher qualification in another related field.
- Demonstrated understanding of the history and effects of forcible removal on the Stolen Generations.
- Demonstrated experience in providing evidence-based counselling to clients and their families who have been institutionalised, adopted or fostered through past Government removal policies.
- Demonstrated ability to engage and build strong working relationships with clients and relevant stakeholders.
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft applications and database management.
- Demonstrated understanding of Aboriginal Terms of Reference and Cultural Competency.
- Be able to travel as required.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL NEED TO SUPPLY:
- A Valid Driver’s License
- National Police Certificate, not less than six (6) months old
- Relevant Tertiary Qualifications
WHY JOIN YORGUM:
- Flexibility: A degree of autonomy and an additional 10 days of agency leave per year
- Career development: Access to professional clinical supervision
- Lucrative benefit package: Competitive salary plus the opportunity to salary sacrifice.
Yorgum is committed to the protection of children and young people.
If you require this information in an alternative format, please contact us to email@example.com, using the subject line: Counsellor - Link-Up - Kalgoorlie enquiry via EthicalJobs.
Only Short Listed Applicants will be contacted.