Who are we?
Youth Affairs Council of South Australia Inc. (YACSA) is the peak body representing the interests of young people aged 12-25 years and organisations and networks throughout the non-government youth sector. YACSA has been the recognised youth affairs peak body since its inception in 1980. Our business is advocacy and representation and our members drive our work.
YACSA undertakes systemic advocacy informed by our members and evidence to create change and ensure policy makers and the community understands the impacts of policies and decision-making on young people, and the youth sector. We hold decision makers to account and provide a credible and informed youth affairs perspective.
Context of the position
Young people have been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19 and the effects will be long-lasting. Young people have borne the brunt of job losses and experienced interruptions to education and training, and they are concerned about income, secure housing and mental health and wellbeing both during and post-pandemic. The South Australian Government has provided a one-off grant to YACSA to respond to the unique needs of young people and the youth sector.
This is a 12 month, fixed-term 0.8 FTE contract position. Salary and conditions are based on Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry (SCHCADS) Award 2010, Level 6. Working hours are 30.4 hours per week and some out of hours work may be required. The position is based in Adelaide and may include intrastate travel with overnight stays.
Key duties and responsibilities
The Senior Project Officer – COVID-19 Recovery will work with stakeholders to identify vulnerable target groups, coordinate response and recovery efforts, and increase advocacy and awareness of the impacts of COVID-19 on young South Australians.
The Senior Project Officer – COVID-19 Recovery reports directly to the CEO and will:
- Create or enhance networks and partnerships to support COVID-19 response and recovery efforts that improve outcomes for young South Australians.
- Undertake research and engagement activities to identify current and long-term impacts of COVID-19 on young people and the not-for-profit youth sector in South Australia.
- Inform the identification of target groups that have increased vulnerability due to COVID-19 and work with relevant stakeholders to coordinate response and recovery efforts.
- Enhance the advocacy and action capacity of the youth sector regarding the current and longer-term impacts of COVID-19 on young people.
- Strengthen communications between the state government, the youth sector and young people in South Australia related to COVID-19 recovery responses.
- Prepare progress and final reports.
- Undertake other duties as required.
The successful candidate will have:
- Tertiary qualification in youth work, social work, social science or similar/relevant.
- Experience managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders to successful outcomes.
- Experience in policy analysis, research and report writing.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating meetings and motivating groups, including developing and delivering presentations, workshops and information sessions to diverse audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including written and verbal communication skills and ability to build and maintain strong, effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Exceptional initiative and organisational skills and ability to prioritise demands, problem-solve and work under limited supervision.
- Flexibility to work some irregular hours when required.
- Excellent understanding of youth participation and community engagement principles and their application
- Excellent understanding of and strong commitment to the principles of social justice and human rights
- An understanding of and a commitment to the objects of YACSA
- An understanding of the non-government youth sector in SA and/or experience working in a not-for-profit organisation
- Knowledge of WHS, and quality and continuous improvement principles
For more information contact email@example.com, using the subject line: Senior Project Officer - COVID-19 Recovery enquiry via EthicalJobs.