About Wyndham CEC
Wyndham Community & Education Centre Inc. (Wyndham CEC) is a not-for-profit organisation funded over 40 years ago. Wyndham CEC is one of Victoria’s largest Adult & Community Education providers and a leader in supporting people and communities to make positive changes for their future. Wyndham CEC offers quality community programs and education opportunities to vulnerable young people and adults across western Melbourne. In particular, Wyndham CEC works closely with individuals from refugee backgrounds through settlement services, community projects and English language programs.
About the COVID-19 Vaccine Community Advocate role
The COVID-19 Vaccine Community Advocate (COVID-19 VCA) is a new position that has just been created to support the efforts of Junubi Wyndham CSG to reach community members who are facing barriers to access vaccines.
The Victorian Government is making this funding available to help protect the community from COVID-19, reduce adverse health outcomes and increase COVID-19 vaccination rates.
The Supporting Access to Vaccination for Priority CALD Communities (SAV-PCC) program provides funding to Community Support Groups (CSGs) and Le Mana Pasifika Project to deliver community-led and culturally specific case management and specialised community engagement to reduce barriers and increase access to COVID-19 vaccinations.
The program supports culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities currently engaged with Community Support Groups (CSGs) and Le Mana Pasifika Project. Therefore, potential candidates intending to apply for the 6 x Vaccine Community Advocates positions with Junubi Wyndham are expected to have strong verbal communications in South Sudanese languages including; Acholi, Azande, Bari, Dinka, Nuer, Shilluk, Sudanese Arabic etc...
- Promote positive vaccine message through culturally appropriate communication channels
- Deliver community-led and culturally specific vaccine case management and specialised community engagement to support CALD communities with complex issues preventing access to COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Provide vaccination case management and targeted interventions to at-risk young people and people experiencing vaccine hesitancy.
- Facilitate partnerships between CSGs, Le Mana Pasifika Project, and volunteer-based groups such as community leaders and champions to deliver sufficient education regarding COVID-19 vaccinations in culturally appropriate settings.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide support to South Sudanese community members that are having barriers to access COVID-19 vaccines and booster shots.
- Accurately record all case management activities and maintain files for each family or client supported.
- Refer family/clients to mainstream services and other service providers based on assessed needs as appropriate
- Actively refer clients to Wyndham CEC education and employment programs, youth activities and other services, as a result of assessed needs.
- Conduct Assessment of needs and make appropriate referrals to relevant vaccination centres
- Attend team and network meetings to contribute to discussions related to COVID-19 vaccines access.
- Conduct home visits to provide COVID-19 vaccine messages to families.
- Promote, facilitate and coordinate referrals for children under 12 to vaccination centres and assist parents to book and receive booster jabs (3rd vaccine).
- Organise COVID-19 vaccines information sessions to South Sudanese community in Wyndham
- Develop relationships with COVID-19 vaccination hubs and provide outreach services as appropriate
- Advocate to Project Officer – COVID-19 Community Engagement with the aim of improving community access to COVID-19 vaccines.
- Identify community members who would benefit from COVID-19 vaccine information sessions, encourage and invite them to attend.
- Assist targeted individuals to take advantage of support provided to them to access vaccination hubs in Wyndham
- Consult with and support South Sudanese community members to establish barriers to attending vaccination hub and offer things like, transportation, childcare or food packages.
- Work closely with the Junubi Wyndham Program Coordinator and staff to maintain effective working relationships with existing vaccinations hubs to increase awareness within the South Sudanese community in Wyndham
- Maintain a record of programs, achievements and activities for inclusion in the monthly report to Dept. of Families, Fairness and Housing.
Interpreting & translating:
- Utilise native language/s to facilitate an understanding and access of COVID-19 vaccines
- Facilitate translation of documents as requested by the relevant language group.
- Take on other duties consistent with the position as directed by thee COVID-19 Community Engagement Project Officer
- Participate in team and other network meetings as required
- Maintain co-operative working relationships with other staff at Wyndham CEC, especially those working in community strengthening programs and projects.
- Establish new and strengthen established links with South Sudanese community leaders, schools, health centres and service providers to ensure that barriers to access vaccines are resolved.
- Build effective relationships with Junubi Wyndham clients and community groups and organisations to strengthen their understanding of COVID-19 vaccines and supports available.
- Participate in ongoing networking and professional development opportunities
Risk and Compliance:
- Follow operational guidelines (including services standards and procedures for safe delivery of services)
- Maintain compliance with the reporting requirements and funding contract guidelines for service delivery
- Ensure compliance with Wyndham CEC Policies and Procedures.
- Provide services free from any sexual harassment and any unlawful discrimination that contravenes the:
- Commonwealth Racial Discrimination Act 1975
- Commonwealth Sex Discrimination Act 1984
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992
- Provide services in compliance with relevant sections of the
- Privacy Act 1988
- Crimes Act 1914
- Freedom of Information Act 1982
Selection Criteria (applications must address all selection criteria)
The person for this position will be assessed against the following Key Selection Criteria:
- Experience in working with culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities
- Experience and understanding of South Sudanese communities in Wyndham, including empowerment of individuals through referrals to vaccination centres.
- High level oral and written communication skills in English.
- Willingness to seek innovative ways to strengthen the capacity of individuals and communities to access COVID-19 vaccines and booster shots.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a culturally and linguistically diverse team
- Strong computer skills especially working with Word documents and Spreadsheets.
Qualifications and Experience
- A relevant qualification in Community Development, Community Services or Social Work and / or equivalent experience working with culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities
- High level of verbal communication in South Sudanese languages such as Dinka, Bari, Nuer, Acholi and Zande
- Sound knowledge of computer Microsoft Office skills
- Current Working with Children Check and National Police Check
- Current Victorian Drivers Licence
- Wyndham CEC’s safety screening processes require the successful applicant to consent to a National Criminal History check and referee checks; confirmation of employment with Wyndham CEC is subject to a satisfactory outcome of these checks.
- Wyndham CEC is committed to child safety and the successful applicant must provide a current Working with Children Check card or willingness to apply for one.
- Wyndham CEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people with a disability to apply.
- Wyndham CEC acknowledges and respects the privacy of individuals and handles personal information in compliance with National Privacy Principles.
- The successful applicant will require a Victorian driver’s licence and must have the right to work in Australia
Enquiries to Poly Kiyaga at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: COVID-19 Vaccine Community Advocate - Junubi Wyndham enquiry via EthicalJobs or 03 9742 4013.
A position description is attached.