Welfare Rights & Advocacy Service is an independent community legal centre specialising in Social Security law. We receive funding from the Commonwealth and State Governments. Welfare Rights & Advocacy Service is also funded to provide a tenant advocate service. We are looking to employ an experienced solicitor (eligible for an unrestricted practicing certificate in Western Australia) to work in all areas of our service for a fixed period up to 30 June 2021. Employment will be subject to a 3-month probation period.
SALARY AND CONDITIONS
- Part-time position, 45.6 hours per fortnight.
- Fixed-term contract to 30 June 2021.
- Pro-rata of full-time rate $72,187-$81,206.
- Salary and conditions as per the TLC Emergency Welfare Foundation of Western Australia (Inc.) EBA.
- Holder of or eligible for an unrestricted practising certificate in Western Australia.
- Knowledge of Social Security law and WA Residential Tenancies law or the ability to quickly acquire this knowledge.
- Demonstrated interest in and capacity to undertake litigation in tribunals and courts.
- Demonstrated advocacy and negotiation skills, as the role requires you to negotiate with government departments.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to work with people in stress/distress who are seeking assistance from us while dealing with a broad range of social and legal issues.
- Excellent organisational skills, including both time management and file management.
- Demonstrated commitment to ensuring access to justice for all members of the community.
- Experience in a community legal service will be highly regarded.
- Computer or keyboard skills and the ability to use products from the Microsoft Office 365 Suite.
- Ability to work in a small team setting comprising solicitors, advocates, volunteers, Board Members, and visitors to the service.
- Flexibility and a sense of humour.
Welfare Rights & Advocacy Service
98 Edward St
Perth WA 6000
A position description is attached.