Wombat Housing Support Services is one of the largest providers of housing and support services to people in the Western Metro Region. It is a community based organisation managed by a Board.
The Singles Support Program
The Singles Support Program works with single adults that are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. People must be capable of independent living (with support from the program) and must have an avenue for exiting the program. The program utilises transitional housing properties which are managed by Unison (a Transitional Housing Manager). The program also has capacity to support people who are not living in transitional housing. All clients are assisted using Wombat case management procedures and practices.
The position provides case managed support to clients in transitional housing & short-term ‘outreach’ clients.
With the support of the Program Manager, the Singles Case Manager plays a critical role in the development and delivery of effective support services to single people in Melbourne’s west.
Wombat’s Singles Case Manager delivers services on an outreach basis from a single site in Melrose St, North Melbourne.
The Singles Case Manager is accountable to the Wombat’s Executive Officer via the Program Manager. The Team Leader oversees general program operations and provides day to day guidance to case managers.
The Singles Case Manager will participate in regular program and support meetings facilitated by the Team Leader, plus supervision by the Team Leader. Bi-monthly external supervision is provided to the team as is secondary consultation. Informal support and supervision is encouraged and forms a major part of the support and supervision structure.
- Carry out the duties in accordance with the philosophy, policies, work practices and protocols of Wombat Housing Support Services. (including Codes of Conduct see in PD)
- Assess referrals for housing and /or support
- Develop and monitor individual case plans in conjunction with the service user
- Provide one on one case management support to service users
- Network & liaise with other agencies, including Unison & DHHS, around issues relating to support for service users
- Provide housing and related information and advocacy
- Develop and disseminate information and resource material to service users
- Contribute to the maintenance of information, data and recording systems
- Contribute to the development of Wombat policies, programs and procedures (including participation in Staff Working Groups)
- Attend internal meetings
- Participate in external meetings as determined with management
- Provide reports as requested by management
- Other duties as directed by the Program Manager or the EO
Key Selection Criteria
- Experience in working with the target groups
- Experience in a relevant position in the Community Sector
- Experience in the provision of case managed support
- Working knowledge of the homelessness service system
- Understanding of the legislative requirements applicable to the position
- Understanding of the causal factors of homelessness
- Excellent communication skills with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Ability to communicate with people in a constructive and non-judgmental manner
- Ability to engage with people who display challenging behaviours
- Ability to work as part of a team and to be accountable as an individual worker
- Basic competencies appropriate to the conduct of the position such as computer literacy, driver’s licence, data collection, verbal and writing skills
- The position is .8eft (32 hours per week).
- The position is for a fixed term expiring 7th June 2020.
- Days worked will be negotiated with the Program Manager
- Job title: Case Manager
- Salary: SCHADS award level 5
- Salary sacrificing is available, within the limit of the law
- Position reports to: Executive officer
- Conditions: As per the Wombat EBA 2016
Appointment is subject to a satisfactory Police Check and Working with Children Check. In the event that a candidate has resided overseas for more than one year in the preceding 10 years an International Police check will be required.
For more information please see the attached Position Description.