Wombat Housing Support Services is one of the largest providers of housing and support services to people in the Western Metro Region. It is a community-based organisation managed by a Board.
The culture of Wombat is about:
- Integrating new programs and ideas
- Providing services that are accessible, transparent, fair & equitable
- Being sensitive to the needs of diverse cultural & language groups
- Recognising the right of all age groups to access appropriate services, including children, young people and older people
- Cross program service delivery
- Embracing and generating change that is positive
- Accountability, inquiry and reflection
- Hearing and accounting for different views
- A workforce representing diversity in experience, age and ability
- Valuing staff and encouraging wellbeing
- Providing a flexible and supportive work environment
Wombat’s existing services include:
- Support & Advocacy for social housing tenants
- Support programs for Department of Human Services youth clients
- Transitional support services for Families, Single People and Youth
- Support program for young people on parole & Leaving Care
Wombat is also the auspice for the Western Homelessness Networker and managers the LGBTI+ capacity-building project and Continuing Care Living skills project.
Tenancy Plus is an advocacy and support program for social housing tenants. The aim of the program is to prevent homelessness and improve outcomes for tenants through sustaining and supporting tenancies.
Wombat delivers Tenancy Plus in the Inner Western catchment of the West Metropolitan Region.
The Tenancy Plus team supports new social housing tenants to establish successful tenancies, and provides support to existing tenancies that are at risk.
The position provides case-managed advocacy and support to social housing tenants, particularly where there is a risk of failed tenancy.
With the support of the Team Leader, Program Manager and program team, the Tenancy Plus case managers play a critical role in the development and delivery of effective support services to social housing tenants in the inner west. Tenancy Plus Case Managers deliver services on an outreach basis from a single site in Melrose Street North Melbourne. Tenancy Plus Support Workers provide direct service delivery within a case management model.
Key Selection Criteria
- Substantial experience working with people in crisis, including people with challenging behaviours
- Experience in a relevant position in the Community Sector
- Working knowledge of the housing & support system and the causal factors of homelessness
- Demonstrated skill in case management tasks, assessment and the development of case plans
- Experience in individual case advocacy requiring excellent verbal communication and writing skills
- Ability and commitment to communicate and engage with people from diverse backgrounds including cultural, language, age and other experiences
- Ability to work as part of a team and to be accountable as an individual worker
- Basic competencies appropriate to the conduct of the position such as computer literacy, driver’s licence and data collection
- Knowledge or experience of the Residential Tenancies Act, VCAT Act and/or Office of Housing/Community Housing Policies (desirable)
- The position is .8eft (7.6 hr day/ 30.4 hours per week).
- The position is ongoing.
- Days worked will be negotiated with the Program Manager.
- Salary: SCHADS award level 5. Salary sacrificing is available, within the limit of the law.
- Position reports to: Executive Officer
- Conditions: As per the Wombat EBA 2016, including:
- Five weeks paid annual recreation leave.
- Grace & Favour days between Christmas and New Year.
- A Probationary Period of 3 months will apply.
Appointment is subject to a satisfactory Police Check and Working with Children Check. In the event that a candidate has resided overseas for more than one year in the preceding 10 years, an International Police check will be required prior to commencing work.
- Cheryle Sebire (Team Leader Tenancy Plus) - Ph: 8327 2222
A full position description is attached.
Please note: previous applicants need not apply.