- Location: Penrith
- Employment Status: Full-time (with some on-call and after-hours work) up to 6 months
- Reporting to: The Haven; Nepean Shelter Board (with additional supervision from WCS)
- Salary: Negotiable, depending on skills and experience
The Haven, Nepean Women's Shelter is a charitable, non-profit organisation supporting homeless women in Penrith.
We provide a safe haven for women who – due to physical, emotional or sexual abuse, family breakdown, financial strife, domestic violence, mental health issues or lack of affordable housing – are homeless. The Haven; Nepean Women's Shelter provides a case management approach.
We are recruiting a Shelter Manager for up to 6 months to cover maternity leave.
The Shelter Manager will work with the Board in the operation and management of the service and management of day-to-day operations on an ongoing basis. The Shelter Manager will participate in service development and implementation, in order to have a lasting impact on the lives of homeless women.
The purpose of the Shelter Manager position is to:
- Manage and coordinate the provision of service from a case management perspective to the women accessing the Haven; Nepean Womens Shelter.
- Supervise, support and develop the staff team and oversee volunteers.
- Report to and resource the Haven; Nepean Womens Shelter Board.
- Work collaboratively with the Haven; Nepean Womens Shelter Board in the management of the office and administration of the service.
- Develop and maintain links and referral pathways with accommodation and housing services, other relevant services and the community.
- Aim to develop and maintain a service of quality that is a place of safety, security, comfort and confidentiality for clients.
Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or equivalent years in experience in a similar role.
- Experience leading or managing a female-focused crisis, transitional accommodation or housing service
- A developed understanding of current issues in women's homelessness, including current practices in the NSW context of responses to domestic and family violence
- A sound and developed understanding of the principles of case-management, trauma-informed care and client-centric approaches in the context of women's services
- 5 years + and recent experience in managing staff, including professional development and supervision
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills, including the ability to lead and influence
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively and collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders, including the Haven; Nepean Womens Shelter Board, staff, clients, local service and community partners, the government and NGO sectors
- Capacity to assist in building strategic direction for the service
- Ability to think creatively and drive innovative solutions and practices
- An understanding of access, equity, diversity and Work Health and Safety principles and the ability to deliver a non-judgemental and supportive service to clients
- Sound computer skills, including Microsoft Office and case-management software
- Current NSW Driver's License
- Ability to attend to on-call matters and supporter events out of normal office hours
- Experience in managing clients with mental health issues & knowledge of referral pathways and procedures
- Knowledge and understanding of funding streams, including community fundraising
- Experience with using CIMS vacancy management service
Our services are provided only to women. We consider being a woman is a genuine occupational qualification for this position under section 31 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW) and sections 30 of the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth).