The WA AIDS Council is a community-based, health promotion agency that works to promote optimal health and well-being of those living with, or at risk of contracting HIV, sexually transmissible infections and blood-borne viruses.
Our mission is to improve the health and quality of life for our priority populations by:
- Minimising the impact and further transmission of HIV, sexually transmissible infections and blood-borne viruses
- Reducing social, legal and policy barriers that prevent access to health information and effective support and prevention services.
About the Role
WAAC strongly encourages LGBTIQ+ peers to apply for this position.
This position is 0.2 FTE (7.5 hours per week) initially, increasing to 0.4 (15 hours per week) as the retreats occur, commencing at Level 4 Social and Community Services (WA) Interim Award 2011. This is a fixed term contract ending at the end of December 2021. The position will require evening and weekend work during retreats.
- Tertiary qualifications in youth work, health promotion/education, or significant progress towards such a qualification, or significant experience in a closely related area.
- Demonstrated experience promoting, coordinating events and volunteers.
- Experience in developing projects or services, including planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience in providing peer-based support to young people who are marginalised, subject to stigma and/or hard to reach, with sound knowledge of the health-related social issues that are particular to LGBTIQ+ young people.
- High level written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, cultural sensitivity and substantive equality.
- Current Western Australian driver’s license, Working with Children Check and a National Police Clearance (NPC within the last six months).
- A good understanding of mental health promotion and mental illness prevention in the context of a community-based organisation.
- Ability to competently use Microsoft (MS) suite, particularly MS Excel, and conduct basic data analysis and reporting.