Working collaboratively across the organisation, the Policy, Research and Advocacy Officer plays a key role in supporting the Senior Policy, Research & Advocacy Officer to initiate high quality research and to assist with preparing policy submissions & initiatives, focusing on police accountability, and prevention of and accountability for deaths in custody. This is done in the context of developing and promoting VALS as a strong voice for the Aboriginal communities we serve. The successful candidate will demonstrate policy, analytical and communication skills, coupled with an ability to influence stakeholders (government and non-government).
Key Performance Indicators, Duties & Responsibility
Strategy and Planning
- Develop VALS policy, research and advocacy agenda in line with the strategic and operational plan and work with relevant colleagues across the organisation to achieve our strategic objectives
- Measure impact and review progress with advocacy strategies and plans and ensure ongoing development of these in response to changes in the external environment
- Identify and respond to emerging opportunities to influence law and policy
Policy and Research
- Research, write and prepare position papers, reports and submissions as relevant, which will contribute to implementation of VALS Policy, Research and Advocacy strategy
- Provide support and advice to the CEO and other members of the Executive Team to fulfil their role in representing VALS at conferences, working groups and forums
- Support the Senior Policy, Research and Advocacy Officer to represent VALS on relevant working groups and forums as required
- Work closely with the Senior Policy, Research and Advocacy Officer and the Communications Officer to achieve VALS policy, research and advocacy priorities through public advocacy
- Work with the Senior Policy, Research & Advocacy Officer to translate the concerns of clients and the Aboriginal communities into specific campaigns, policy and advocacy materials
- Provide support to develop and implement research projects being run by VALS.
- Lead some policy initiatives and submissions in relation to relevant experience.
- Work in partnership with the Senior Policy Officer and heads of service provision to endorse implementation of the policy and advocacy initiatives.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including ACCOs, NATSILS and ATSILS, research institutions, government and community legal organisations
- Collaborate with relevant internal stakeholders to deliver policy and advocacy initiatives in partnerships with external organisations and the broader community
- Work with the Senior Policy, Research and Advocacy Officer to build the organisation’s profile through the establishment and maintenance of research partnerships with external organisations and the broader community.
- Commitment to VALS’s strategic plan
- Attend and actively contribute at team and working group meetings
- Foster collaborative working relationships with colleagues across VALS
- Undertake other duties & responsibilities within the scope of the role as directed
- Perform other relevant duties as requested by the Senior Policy, Research & Advocacy Officer
More information can be found via www.vals.org.au/careers/.
A position description is attached.