- Position: Part time (.5 FTE) , Ongoing
- Salary: $72,377 to $77,875 plus Super (based on skills & experience)
- Location: Wangaratta
Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is the largest organisation of its kind in Australia, employing more than 600 employees and delivering more than 70 programs across Victoria. VACCA is an Aboriginal community-controlled organisation that supports and advocates for the Aboriginal community. Our strength lies with our people. Our team is committed to the organisation's vision and values; advocates for our children and other vulnerable community members; and shows respect for, observance and compliance with Aboriginal cultural protocols, practice and ceremony. Our Aboriginality is what distinguishes us from mainstream services and what enables us to deliver the positive outcomes we achieve for our people.
About the role
- The Better Futures Youth Worker will act as the key worker, being the main contact for the entire period of leaving care support, taking on case management support when the young person leaves care. The roles will include:
- A strong focus on achieving outcomes: economic, personal, social and housing.
- Developing and implementing a detailed plan including assigning a flexible support package based on the plan.
Provide life and living skills development for the client group
- Demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to, the values that underpin VACCA' vision and purpose and the capacity to take a leadership role in championing these internally and externally
- Demonstrated awareness and appreciation of Aboriginal societies and cultures, and commitment to continually build knowledge of such, along with a high level of awareness of the key issues which impact upon Aboriginal communities
- A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of issues surrounding Youth, homelessness, adolescent out-of-home care, the Child Protection and Youth Justice systems and available resources and services in inner Gippsland.
- Skills in assertive outreach, assessment and case management.
- Demonstrated ability to engage young people in out-of-home care including Residential Care, Kinship Care and Home-Based Care.
- Communication: Develops and communicates clear, culturally appropriate, respectful and consistent messages to staff clients and community members
- Problem Solving Implements organisational policies, procedures and systems to address incidents and problems and assists team members to develop culturally appropriate solutions
- Interpersonal skills Models appropriate interpersonal skills, self-awareness, self-management, and community/ cultural awareness in communications, problem solving and conflict resolution
- Empathy, Compassion, Resilience, Motivation, Advocacy and Professionalism
What we can offer you:
- Professional support and training via in-house learning and development training modules
- Attractive salary packaging to increase your take home pay
- Great career development opportunities.
- Access to Employee support and wellbeing program(s)
- Opportunity to work and build connection with the Aboriginal Community and culture
We strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders people to apply
Applications should include a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria and current resume.
We encourage applicants to view the Position Description prior to applying. Please click here to view the position description.
We are committed to Aboriginal self-determination and supporting strong, safe, thriving Aboriginal communities and aim to ensure every individual is treated with dignity, honouring all cultural backgrounds, abilities, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities and spiritual beliefs.
VACCA is a child-safe organisation and is committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of children and young people with zero tolerance for child abuse. All successful applicants will be required to undertake a National Police Record Check and Working with Children Check prior to commencement of employment and periodically following commencement.
VACCA is an equal opportunity employer and has a smoke-free workplace policy.