This position is part of the national Aged Care senior leadership team and has responsibility for co-ordinating the organising program for the Aged Care sector.
The role can be based in any major city in Australia.
About United Workers’ Union
United Workers’ Union is a powerful member-led union whose sole purpose is to serve the collective interests of members in workplaces and communities by winning significant and long lasting gains.
The Union is driving change by growing union membership, developing leadership amongst our members, encouraging active member participation in the union, building and enforcing standards in our sectors, and campaigning in the community and politics.
As a union with a proudly diverse membership, we are committed to equity and inclusion; and continuing to build a union that is truly representative of the workers we cover. We strive to ensure that every member’s voice can be heard and create opportunities for participation from members with diverse backgrounds in all activities/functions of the Union.
- Develop and direct the strategic campaigns and organising plans that align with the union’s objects and broader goals
- Build, lead and manage the work of multiple teams, and also coordinate the delivery of plans with the involvement of other union portfolios
- Assess and support the development of Lead Organisers (or equivalent)
- Use Organising (or equivalent) systems and tools to retrieve and analyse data, and provide advice on risks and to report against target outcomes, and take steps to mitigate risks or improve outcomes
- Drive reform in the national union through the portfolio
- Translate and contribute to best practice outcomes to increase knowledge across the whole union, in organising and campaigning
- Lead bargaining
- Implement and promote practices, policies, strategies and systems that contribute to the unions goals including diversity, inclusive workplaces and take steps to address barriers to participation or to address discrimination
- Manage digital organising tools such as CallHub, P2P texting and Social Media for campaign activities, member and potential member engagement
Key Selection Criteria
The Co-ordinator demonstrates:
- A passion and drive to improve workers’ lives and achieve the goals of the Union
- Extensive relevant experience in union organising and campaigning
- Experience in organising strategy development, planning and reporting
- Experience in using reporting systems to analyse data and create reports to provide advice on strategic plans
- Experience in leading teams
- Leadership development, including motivating and educating others
- Excellent communication, messaging and rapport building skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
Bonus points if you:
- Are excited about Digital/Online organising and innovating new ways to increase union membership and engagement.
- Have experience writing persuasive online communications
- Have experience working with organising technology to engage people at scale – eg. calling technology, P2P texting software, Social Media Tools.
- Are ambitious and excited about scale – knowing that we need to do more, faster and bigger than ever before.
To perform this job you will also be required to have or obtain and maintain:
- A valid driver’s licence; and
- Right of Entry Permits
An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant, which will include:
- Salary commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience;
- A motor vehicle or motor vehicle allowance;
- 16% superannuation
- 6 weeks annual leave plus 25% leave loading