The Transport Workers’ Union of New South Wales represents tens of thousands of men and women in the State’s aviation, oil, waste management, gas, road transport, passenger vehicle and freight logistics industries.
We are currently seeking an experienced legal officer to join our team. The role will report directly to the TWU’s Chief Legal Officer and will be based out of our Sydney office.
In this role you will:
- Prepare and provide legal advice to union officials and members on a range of industrial issues
- Manage your own matters within a busy legal case load including unfair dismissals, bargaining related applications and industrial disputes
- Prepare applications, evidence and written submissions to, and advocate on behalf of the TWU and its members in, the Fair Work Commission, NSW Industrial Relations Commission, and courts including the Federal Circuit Court and Local Court
- Assist in developing and maintaining industrial instruments including state awards, contract determinations and enterprise agreements
- Prepare submissions to, and appear before, parliamentary inquiries
- Attend meetings from time-to-time with members, officials, members of parliament, other unions, or employers as a representative of the TWU
- Contribute to political strategy aimed at promoting the interests of TWU members
- Other duties as required
We are seeking a candidate with:
- Legal qualifications
- At least two years post admission or equivalent experience in similar roles
- Well-developed research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Good organisation and administrative skills
- The ability to work under pressure, prioritise and multi-task
- A strong commitment to labour values
- A sound understanding and working knowledge of the Fair Work Act 2009 and the Industrial Relations Act 1996 (NSW)
- Prior experience working for a trade union or in an in-house role with exposure to industrial relations or employment law (not essential but will be well regarded)
Generous salary commensurate with experience, RDOs and 14% superannuation. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with a commitment to union values to work in a dynamic and challenging role.