Start your career with The Salvation Army today!
We are looking for compassionate people who share our mission and values, if you have the passion and drive to commit yourself to a challenging and rewarding role; we invite you to review our current vacancies.
The Salvation Army is one of Australia's largest and most-loved charities, helping thousands of Australians every year find hope in the midst of all kinds of personal hardship. The Salvation Army offers the opportunity to use your professional skills and expertise to make a real difference in the lives of people who need help most.
Oasis Youth Services is seeking a qualified permanent Youth Worker to join their team in Canberra.
Oasis Youth Services has been operating for over 35 years, providing emergency accommodation and support to homeless young people. Join our team of permanent Youth Workers to support and maintain a positive environment for homeless young people in a service located in the south of Canberra. We offer a Trauma informed person-centred service that uses effective empowerment, case management and crisis interventions to support the young people who require a crisis response.
Hours - vary over three shift times:
- Evenings: 4:30pm to 10pm
- Sleepovers: 9:30 pm to 9:30 am (A mixture of sleep and active hours)
- Day shifts: (Saturday and Sunday) 9 am to 5 pm - once per month
Roster operates over a 4 week period with one full weekend per month with no shifts (weekend off)
- Shift penalties applied to applicable shifts
- First aid allowance
- Salary packaging available
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Crisis Accommodation Support Services
- Assist in the creation and daily running of a 24 hour Youth Service environment within the Youth Emergency Accommodation Network that promotes the physical, emotional, spiritual and social development of young people.
- Ensure the young people are not subjected to any form of abuse and, in particular, bullying or the threat of bullying.
- Through appropriate activities and strategies build rapport and engage with young people in order to identify and respond to their immediate needs. Offer appropriate support within a person centred, framework and provide opportunities for young people to achieve their goals.
- Activities include relationship development, referral and assessment, development of community support and service plans, all in consultation with management and other staff.
Living Skills Development
- Conduct living skills/training programs and assist in ensuring relevance to the needs of the young people is maintained. Ensure access for young people to relevant services and support options both within TSA Network and external agencies, and advocate as appropriate.
Networking and Partnerships
- Acquire and maintain a good working knowledge of accommodation and support options for homeless people both within TSA Network and external agencies and work collaboratively and professionally with other agencies.
- Participates in team activities such as training, attend staff meetings when scheduled and demonstrates a supportive approach to other staff members which contributes to the overall team effectiveness
- Tertiary qualifications (Cert IV or higher) in Youth Work or a related field
- An understanding of and empathy with The Salvation Army mission and values
- Ability to work with a range of behaviours, different cultures and backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a broader team
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Current Drivers Licence and Senior First Aid Certificate
- Current Working with Vulnerable People Registration
- Experience working in crisis support and intervention
- Experience working with young people
- Experience working within Specialist Homelessness Services
The Salvation Army is an Equal Opportunity Employer who provides an inclusive work environment and embraces the diverse talent of its people.
The Salvation Army is a child safe organisation that is committed to ensuring the wellbeing of children and young people, and protecting them from harm. All child facing roles will require the successful completion of a Working with Children Check. Applicants for all other roles require a mandatory National Police Check.
We value Integrity, Compassion, Respect, Diversity, and Collaboration.