START YOUR CAREER WITH THE SALVATION ARMY TODAY!
We are looking for compassionate people who share our mission and values, if you have the passion and drive to commit yourself to a challenging and rewarding role; we invite you to review our current vacancies.
The Salvation Army is one of Australia's largest and most-loved charities, helping thousands of Australians every year find hope in the midst of all kinds of personal hardship. The Salvation Army offers the opportunity to use your professional skills and expertise to make a real difference in the lives of people who need help most.
The Salvation Army is one of Australia's largest providers of alcohol and other drug services. We offer a range of services including Harm Reduction and Primary Health Services as well as a range of treatment types (including residential treatment centres, community-based support programs, counselling and withdrawal management services). We work to a modern, evidence based and holistic Model of Care which can be viewed here: https://www.salvationarmy.org.au/scribe/sites/auesalvos/files/need-help/AOD_National_Model_of_Care.pdf
Townsville Recovery Services operates as a 33-bed residential rehabilitation facility for men & women over the age of 18 seeking recovery from addiction to alcohol, other drugs and gambling. Our program is abstinence based and provides skills to assist participants in breaking the cycle of addiction. The development of these skills leads participants into a lifestyle of hope, health and wholeness in body, mind and spirit.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Registered Nurse will provide specialised withdrawal management (detox) nursing services, clinical assessments, mental and physical health care, referral for addiction medical assistance as required to people undergoing detox, within a safe and culturally appropriate manner which meets the immediate physical, mental and emotional needs in line with TSA values and mission and in line with the relevant legislation and guidelines.
- Maintain ethical practice standards of profession and TSA.
- TSA core values and behaviour evident in all work activities.
- Clients assessed, monitored and supported in accordance with their medical plan and the Guidelines.
- Accurately dispense, administer, record and monitor prescribed and other medications in accordance with established treatment plans.
- Routine nursing care, including regular observations conducted and recorded in line with the Guidelines.
- Provide support to clients experiencing mental health conditions.
- Follow Detox Team Leader and MO directions.
- Ensure concise and accurate shift handover is provided.
- Documentation is accurate, legible and recorded in accordance with TSA guidelines, exercising discretion regarding issues of confidentiality at all times.
- Access provided to allied health services and other support services as required.
- Appropriate liaison and communication with family other multi-disciplinary team members is evident.
- Evidence of the ability to defuse unpredictable situations and conflicts as they arise, including residents with challenging behaviors.
- Actively and compassionately interacts with clients to encourage engagement in secondary treatment on completion of detox.
- Ensure detox unit remains a clean and safe environment
- Health and safety standards are always maintained
This is a casual position.
WHAT WE OFFER
- As a registered not for profit organisation in addition to your remuneration you will enjoy generous tax-free salary packaging benefits
- Employee Assistance Program for you and your immediate family members
- Corporate Private Health Insurance rates
- Supportive and encouraging organisation
- Tertiary qualification in Nursing and current registration with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Minimum 2 years' experience and demonstrated competence in nursing in the alcohol and other drugs nursing environment, including working with people with mental health conditions.
- Demonstrated current knowledge of the Guidelines and issues relating to withdrawal management.
- Demonstrated skills in triage, medical assessment, decision making and providing appropriate nursing interventions and to provide crisis support.
- Demonstrated competence in infection control procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from different cultures and religious backgrounds
- Demonstrated effective communication skills with people displaying challenging behaviors.
- WHS - knowledge of work health safety obligations and to practice these in the workplace in line with TSA policy & procedures and legislation.
- Willingness and ability to work overnight shifts.
- Professional development required to maintain skills for the role.
TSA Social Mission embraces diversity and encourages applications from:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people,
- people who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender or Intersex
- people with a culturally or linguistically diverse background
The Salvation Army is an Equal Opportunity Employer who provides an inclusive work environment and embraces the diverse talent of its people.
The Salvation Army is a child safe organisation that is committed to ensuring the wellbeing of children and young people, and protecting them from harm. All child facing roles will require the successful completion of a Working with Children Check. Applicants for all other roles require a mandatory National Police Check.
We value Integrity, Compassion, Respect, Diversity, and Collaboration.