The House of Welcome (HoW) is a project of Saint Francis Social Services. It provides essential wrap-around casework services, transitional and mid-term housing, community integration and other empowerment programs for community-based refugees and people seeking asylum.
The House of Welcome Catering is a social enterprise that uses the power of food to connect communities and to empower people from refugee and asylum-seeking backgrounds to participate in employment opportunities and pathways.
We are seeking an experienced, self-motivated, and passionate individual to join our small, but growing and dynamic team. Over the last three years the program has grown from a small ad hoc cooking operation into a thriving business that is in high demand throughout Sydney.
The business has built up an impressive list of repeat clients from blue-chip companies to local government; HoW Catering also provides services for private events including weddings and other celebrations.
- Passionate and ambitious, taking pride in their work.
- Team oriented with ability to involve client cooks with creating menu items.
- Able to mentor client cooks from vulnerable and multi-cultural backgrounds.
- Be financially astute.
- Possess strong time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- To assist in the recruitment, training, and supervision of client cooks from amongst our clients (people seeking asylum) and to prepare them for further employment.
- Mentor and inspire the kitchen team from a variety of international backgrounds, exposing them to different food cultures and encouraging them to share their own foods.
- Ensure food standards, preparation, presentation, and cooking techniques meet the highest quality standard.
- Strong understanding and application of cost and quality control.
- Create menu items by applying menu engineering.
- Develop and cost new menu items whilst remaining competitive in the sector.
- Refine existing signature dishes as required.
- Source and maintain relationships with suppliers with the aim to minimise cost of goods.
- Ensure the health and safety of the work site through compliance with OH&S standards, including keeping records of the House of Welcome HACCP plan.
- To maintain all necessary documentation and paperwork, including rosters, recipes and related costings and correspondence.
- Maintain best practice in accordance with SFSS policies and procedures.
- Protect the confidentiality and privacy of clients and clients’ records.
- Minimum of five years hospitality experience, preferably in catering.
- Demonstrated menu planning and implementation experience to deliver quality products consistently.
- Ability to lead a team and create a positive working environment.
- Experience in workforce planning, scheduling & supervision.
- Experience in cost control and menu engineering.
- Have an understanding dealing with different dietary and cultural requirements.
- Knowledge of safe food handling & all kitchen operations.
- Process driven to ensure policies and procedures are met, to a high standard always.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills across a variety of settings.
- Demonstrated ability to work sensitively in a culturally and linguistically diverse environment.
- Full Australian driver’s licence.
For further information please contact Miriam Pellicano on (02) 9727 9290 or email@example.com, using the subject line: Catering Social Enterprise - Head Chef enquiry via EthicalJobs.
A position description is attached.