- Work Type/s: Up to 12 Months Temporary
- Location: South-East Queensland
- Classification: Organiser
- Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience within a range $78,464 to $100,823 per annum, 11% super and a fully maintained vehicle inclusive of private use (a small contribution would be required). Restructured working hours (RDO) available
- Formal qualifications: Tertiary qualifications are highly desirable
About The Services Union
We are a diverse and progressive union improving the lives of workers in Local Government, Social & Community Services (SACS), Energy, Rail, Ports and Clerical & Administration.
People join The Services Union to be part of a powerful member-led union which is actively campaigning for change in our industries and communities. The Services Union is a local Queensland Branch of the Australian Services Union.
Overview of Position:
To Organise and empower members at the workplace. To operate as a member of a team that promotes and encourages members to acquire and/or possess the appropriate advice, knowledge, skills, cohesion, commitment and resolve to advance and protect their economic, social, political and industrial interests. This position may require travel intra-state.
- Grow and empower a member base.
- Identify, foster and increase the level of activism of membership.
- The position reports to the team leader and the Executive President.
- Recruit new members to the union according to recruitment targets.
- Support members to become activists within the union.
- Encourage and facilitate union members to participate in union campaigns and activities.
- Provide basic advice on industrial issues, union policies and services to members, after consultation with other union officers if necessary.
- Communicate with members, delegates, activists and other union staff both verbally and in writing, about the objectives, actions and progress of campaigns and other union activities.
- Collect and collate information for the purpose of mapping delegate and membership structures.
- Update files and details on members, delegates and industrial issues when necessary.
- Participate in and support broader union activities.
- Demonstrated skills and experience organising a membership base, or a demonstrated ability to rapidly acquire such experience and skills.
- Ability to operate as a member of a team.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Excellent written and oral skills, including the ability to speak confidently to individuals, small groups and large audiences.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work autonomously as required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to unionism principles and values.
- Possession of a current Queensland driver’s license.
- Eligibility to obtain Right of Entry permits.