With 54,000 registered charities in Australia, there are countless stories that deserve to be told that don’t always make mainstream news. The Advocate exists for not-for-profits and charities so they can tell their story effortlessly.
- Provide an ongoing commitment to write and publish two original stories per week.
- Pitches and stories will be approved and allocated by the Editor
- Virtual, home-based position
- Update The Advocate's website with one story per week from not-for-profits and charities (skills in WordPress preferable) following our Style Guide
- Post story on our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn using Loomly) following our Style Guide
- Develop strong online relationships with not-for-profits and charities
- Assist with the development and implementation of The Advocate’s bi-monthly digital edition (skills in InDesign preferable)
- Social Media
- InDesign (preferable)
- Some knowledge in marketing
- Good content writing and editing skills
- Have a good nose for news and be able to understand what’s important for the not-for-profit and charity community in Australia
- Own computer and internet connection
- WordPress training can be provided but simple knowledge in the program would be appreciated
- A foot in the door
- You’ll have your own journalist profile on our website (includes an email address), which will be a great way to showcase your work for The Advocate to future prospective employers
- Real-world experience. If you’re still studying journalism at university, applying what you have already learnt in the real world is the best way to develop and hone your skills
- A professional job reference for future employers
The Journalist can do the role from their own home.
Content Meetings will be held online every two weeks at 8.30am.
, conducted by the Editor, with the Editor-In-Chief to sit in on the content planning of the digital edition.