The Advocate is Australia’s leading news website for not-for-profits and charities.
With 54,000 registered charities in Australia, there are countless stories that deserve to be told that don’t always make mainstream news. The Advocate exists for not-for-profits and charities so they can tell their story, effortlessly.
Established in 2014, the storytelling and media business has big plans to expand into a viable news source in 2021.
MARKETING COORDINATOR - THE ROLE
- Be able to manage GoogleAds and implement other innovative ways to increase monthly website visits
- Update and maintain social media channels, particularly LinkedIn
- Update, maintain and grow contact database for the e-newsletter and digital edition
- Create bi-weekly e-newsletter highlighting most-read stories, feature a not-for-profit
- Be able to identify grant opportunities, and help prepare them for the editor
- Provide regular, ongoing commitment for 12 months with the view to extend into a paid position
- Be able to commit to seven hours a week (flexible) – Editor will coordinate position
- Virtual, home-based position
- Assist with the marketing of The Advocate’s first-ever digital edition (which will be bi-monthly)
- Drive the online advertising of The Advocate (free and paid)
- Drive the advertising space of the website and digital edition
- Grow our subscription members
- Grow our contacts database
- Assist in the writing of original stories for marketing activities
- WordPress and website development skills
- Good content writing and editing skills
- InDesign skills (preferably will already have access to InDesign)
- Own computer and internet connection
- WordPress training can be provided but would prefer these skills are already acquired
- Training in media release writing (for Helping Hand Media) and pitching can also be provided
- A foot in the door
- You’ll have your own journalist profile on our website, which will be a great way to showcase your work for The Advocate to future prospective employers
- Real-world experience. If you’re still studying journalism at university, applying what you have already learnt in the real world is the best way to develop and hone your skills
- A handy professional job reference for future employers
The journalist and Marketing Coordinator can do all the role from home.
Content Meetings will be held online every week.
We want to become a fully viable news source by the start of July 2021. That means this volunteer position has the chance of becoming paid positions.
Our viable future will involve monetising parts of the site, offering an online and digital edition subscription to our readers, which includes generating advertising revenue.
At a time when News Corp is restructuring their business model to almost being entirely online, The Advocate can become a healthy competitor to major mainstream mastheads for not-for-profits and charities, and those that follow worthwhile causes, in Australia.
Any enquiries, please contact Ryan Fritz: Editor, The Advocate: email@example.com, using the subject line: Marketing Coordinator (Voluntary) enquiry via EthicalJobs.