At TerraCycle, our mission is to Eliminate the idea of Waste®. As a global innovator in the circular economy, our specialities lie in recycling hard-to-recycle materials. Our programs collect and recycle almost any waste stream such as babies nappies, cigarette butts, cosmetics, wetsuits etc which we then turn waste into new products, like the world's first shampoo bottle made with ocean plastic!
As a social enterprise, we drive positive change by partnering with some of the world’s largest corporations to create collection and recycling solutions for hundreds of traditionally non-recyclable waste streams. This has seen us engage over 80 million consumers, to raise $44 million for charities and recycle over 1 million pounds of waste. In 2019, TerraCycle was Fortune Magazines “Top 10 Companies to change the world [link removed]”.
More recently, we launched the zero-waste retail platform “Loop [link removed]”, a global circular shopping system that enables brands, retailers and consumers to transition from single-use disposable materials to reusable, durable packaging. Loop will be launched in Australia in partnership with Woolworths in Q4 2021/Q1 2022.
About the Team
You will share TerraCycle’s mission to make waste a thing of the past. You’ll be joining a thriving, purpose-driven team in our waste-free, Sydney office. You’ll be an advocate and agent for change, who can work autonomously, while also collaborating with a tight-knit team of eco-warriors.
About the role
- You will oversee TerraCycle ANZ’s operations, managing one operations associate and building a team as our business grows.
RECYCLING SUPPLY CHAIN
- Work with our global R&D team to develop innovative recycling solutions and then research and build a supply chain for products and packaging to be recycled within ANZ.
- Set up strategic partnerships with processing companies, discuss process and requirements and negotiate recycling partnerships for specific materials with agreed payment per tonne.
- Identify and then research the machinery and equipment required for the specific recycling processes (shredders, extruders etc.).
- Find manufacturers who can reuse our recycled material to create new consumer products
- Manage the relationship logistics and warehousing partners, ensure smooth operations, reduce costs and improve the quality of services provided
- Identify product manufacturers, work on feasibility, negotiate prices and manage relationship with vendors to make sure that products are delivered on time and are meeting our client’s expectations
- Provides sales quotes to be used for final customer proposals
- Maintain filing and storage of all relevant proposals, quotes etc.
FINANCE AND DAY-TO-DAY OPERATIONS
- Work with our accounting firm to pay complete reporting, cost analysis, accounting duties and office management
- Attend industry events
- Research regulation
- Review and improve internal processes
- Periodically handle phone calls with teams/organisations from foreign markets (i.e. America or Europe) during non-business hours.
- Periodically travel within ANZ to visit third party vendors, customers, and/or warehouse locations.
- Periodically travel internationally to visit third party vendors, customers, and/or warehouse locations.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in an operations, project management, supply chain, and/or vendor management role. Proven ability to assess and order priorities, juggle multiple tasks, anticipate/plan ahead and project manage in a highly changing environment is a MUST.
- Prior experience in waste management is preferable, but not mandatory. You will be trained and fully supported.
- Having experience is important, but the attitude is right up there, too. We want to work with like-minded sunny, personable, yes people who are game for tackling far-fetched ideas and turning them into reality.