- Part-time position, working four afternoon shifts per week from 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- An opportunity to effect positive change in the lives of young people!
- Dynamic team environment with a positive, supportive culture
ABOUT US & THE PROGRAM
SYC has a relentless belief in people and their potential. We provide services that foster wellbeing, independence and opportunity for all Australians.
HYPA, standing for Helping Young People Achieve (a division of SYC), provides a wide range of support to young people to find and harness their talent for a positive future. It has supported many thousands of young people since its inception in September 1958, helping them to access and maintain safe and appropriate accommodation, to reconnect with family, school, employment and the community.
ABOUT THE ROLE
HYPA is seeking an enthusiastic Youth Worker to join our HYPA Housing Team, to support, encourage and inspire young people residing in our HYPA Housing properties.
This position is needed 16 hours per week, over four weekdays between 4:00pm to 8:00pm.
HYPA Housing is an exciting initiative for SYC, offering purpose-built affordable community and apartment style living for young people aged 17 - 25 years who are seeking to live independently. These young people require individually tailored case management and housing-related support to link with the community and engage in education, training and employment. HYPA Housing’s model is centred on a strengths based approach.
Duties of the successful applicant include:
- Building and promoting a positive community within the HYPA Housing facility that supports the residents.
- Developing and facilitating group activities promoting independent living skills.
- Mentoring and coaching young people to assist them to achieve their goals.
- Attending and co-facilitating tenant meetings with lead tenants.
- Assisting and supporting young people to develop links and building their capacity to be part of their community.
- Regularly monitoring the young person’s progress towards their identified goals and advocating on behalf of clients together with the Community Engagement Officers
- Developing and maintaining networks with relevant agencies.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A qualification in a relevant discipline (e.g. Youth Work, Social Work, Social Science, Counselling) is desirable.
- Experience in working with young people who are disadvantaged by homelessness, an offender history, family breakdown, poverty or lack of education is highly desirable.
- Experience in conducting client assessments, developing case plans and case noting and report writing.
- Experience in delivering group programs.
- A current and valid driver’s licence
Please visit SYC’s website to view our employee benefits www.syc.net.au/careers/working-for-syc.