An exciting opportunity with The Big Issue to support the establishment and provide ongoing support in the running of a new weekly Community Street Soccer Program in Melton. This is a 5 hour/week role, which will include the weekly 2-hour training session when the program is established.
ABOUT THE BIG ISSUE COMMUNITY STREET SOCCER PROGRAM
The Big Issue Australia is an independent, not-for-profit organisation dedicated to supporting and creating work opportunities for people experiencing homelessness, marginalisation and disadvantage.
The Community Street Soccer Program, known as Street Soccer, is an initiative of The Big Issue that uses the power of sport to change lives. Street Soccer promotes social inclusion and personal change for participants by providing support and promoting participation, inclusiveness, commitment and team spirit.
The heart of Street Soccer is weekly training sessions held across Australia. Participants get together in a safe and non-threatening environment, allowing them to get fit, make new friends and seek support and advice.
Through the program, we engage people who in many cases have given up on counselling and traditional support systems and services. Our support staff also work closely with players, linking them to services that address issues including homelessness, substance abuse, family breakdown and mental illness.
- We treat all people with dignity and respect
- We operate ethically and with integrity
- We think creatively and without limits
- We strive for continuous improvement
- We apply prudent financial and business practices
- We are economically, environmentally and socially responsible
- We value, encourage and support our employees
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Melton Coordinator & Assistant Coach is responsible for delivering a soccer program people experiencing homelessness, marginalisation and disadvantage in Melton.
This is a role that allows you to use your enthusiasm, energy, interpersonal and communication skills to motivate people in difficult circumstances helping by them set themselves achievable goals and encouraging them to seek support for the issues that they may be facing. The most critical aspect of the role is connecting with the participants and providing them with direction and encouragement to develop and grow as individuals in our community.
Demonstrated experience in a sport or community role would be highly regarded, but not essential. We are looking for someone with a maturity in their attitude, confidence and natural communication skills to work easily with our clients, other staff members and volunteers.
KEY RESULTS AREAS
Coordination of Street Soccer Program
- Work with the VIC & TAS Coordinator to implement and monitor program initiatives to reach health related KPIs for the Melton program, including:
- Assist the Street Soccer Coach in weekly training sessions
- Encourage and facilitate peer support
- Provide a level of informal mentoring and role modelling to players at training
- Building participation numbers
- Promote the program to a range of support services and recruit participants to the program.
- Coordinate specialist activities
- Coordinate community events and promotional activities
- Assist in facilitating National Championships/Homeless World Cup (if required)
- Coordinate health education activities and guest speakers for the program
- Offer information and refer participants on a range of issues such as housing, drug and alcohol dependency, vocational training and mental illness as required and as will improve their overall health
- Coordinate a team of volunteers to support training sessions.
Ensure effective administration of the program
- Complete administrative requirements which include filling out player codes of conduct, attendance records, incident report forms and KPI reports
- Regular briefing to the State Operations Manager on all relevant matters
- Maintain records and correspondence
- Work within the budget guidelines
- Maintain professional standards for the organisation
- Maintain effective project and participant monitoring of performance outcomes.
KEY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Ability to conduct a basic soccer training session using your personality and creativity to make participants feel relaxed, engaged and welcome
- Ability to work and motivate people facing difficulties in their lives
- Ability to engage and develop relationships with people experiencing disadvantage
- Ability to provide informal mentoring and act as a role model to program participants
- Ability to make sessions fun and challenging for players of all abilities and varied intellectual and physical capabilities
- Ability to engage and develop relationships with community agencies
- Knowledge of local services available to people experiencing disadvantage and the ability to refer players to these organisations
- Some understanding of factors in health and wellbeing of people experiencing homelessness, including people with substance abuse issues and mental illness
- Ability to recruit, train and supervise volunteers
- Demonstrated skills in project development
- Experience in running leisure recreational activities for people experiencing disadvantage (desirable)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
For any queries about the role, please contact Gemma Pidutti - firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Community Street Soccer Program Coordinator / Assistant Coach - Melton enquiry via EthicalJobs.
Prior to an offer of employment all applicants must undertake a National Police Check.