- Be part of an organization that makes a difference
- Part-time maximum term contract (3 days per week)
- Location is flexible - Sydney, Melbourne, or Brisbane offices
Reporting to the National Media Mananger, you will support the Media Team to deliver publicity in collaboration with The Smith Family’s corporate partners, major donors, and trusts and foundations across print, broadcast, online and social media channels.
No two days will be the same, but your primary responsibilities will include:
- Writing and editing media releases, pitches, talking points, articles, blogs, profiles, interviewing and writing up case studies, and other communications collateral relevant to associated partnerships.
- Support corporate partner campaigns associated with the work of The Smith Family.
- Leverage network of key media contacts at a state, regional and local level.
- Work closely with relevant journalists to ensure a regular presence for TSF and its partnerships in the media, across all platforms.
- Monitor the news cycle looking for opportunities for mutually beneficial TSF and partner engagement.
- Stakeholder management of the interests of our corporate partners, in conjunction with relevant Relationship Manager.
- Management of issues relating to corporate partner media support, shaping media pitches and story development, and providing media advice and guidance to our partners.
- Proactive approach to promoting the impact of corporate partners in the media.
- Development and maintenance of media lists for all relevant media contacts.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of overarching corporate partner media and communications strategies for The Smith Family (TSF), across all channels which align with TSF and corporate partner objectives, and other philanthropy areas, as required.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of media relations strategies for individual corporate partners and The Smith Family key activities as required (eg) Appeals, Research reports.
- Liaise with Philanthropy Team, General Managers, Regional Program Managers and Learning for Life team members on media initiatives that support TSF’s corporate partner media strategy.
- Measure and report media outcomes in a timely and consistent manner and which also enables a clear line through to top level objectives, to TSF and corporate stakeholders.
Our successful candidate will have the following:
- Degree qualification in journalism, communications, PR, media relations and/or marketing or 8 plus years’ co-ordinating communications, PR, media relations or marketing activity with proven results.
- 8+ years of journalism, communications, PR, media relations or marketing experience.
- Existing media contacts with influential journalists/news organisations.
- Demonstrated writing and interviewing skills.
- Demonstrated stakeholder and project management skills
- Experience in media operations and an understanding of the media’s needs.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully pitch stories to the media and have them published/broadcast.
- Proven ability to develop and execute plans which meet objectives and deliver business results.
- Strong initiative and drive to devise story ideas for the media to capture attention for The Smith Family.
- An understanding of, or experience working in communications in the not for profit sector.
Living up to our employment promise, our team members tell us that working for The Smith Family, they have great job flexibility and the ability to work alongside committed, passionate and professional team members whilst engaging in challenging, fulfilling and diverse work. In turn, our team members believe that they offer commitment to our vision, mission and values and effective collaboration with fellow team members to deliver strong performance outcomes. If you are passionate about what you do, committed to make a difference and this sounds like your next role, please apply today!
Due to the nature of this role, the successful candidate must be prepared to undertake a National Police Check and a Working with Children’s Check. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to principles of cultural diversity. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.