- Location: Belrose
- Position: Full time (Mon to Fri 8:30am - 5pm)
Surf Life Saving NSW is the state’s primary water safety and rescue organisation and one of the largest volunteer movements in the country. We support more than 75,000 members in 129 clubs to serve the community through the provision of beach patrol services, coastal emergency response, training and education, sports and junior development.
This is a fantastic and rare opportunity to work in a highly respected and iconic Australian organisation. The CFO is responsible for all financial and fiscal management aspects of Surf Life Saving NSW and its commercial arm, Surf Life Saving Services. This role directs the organisation's financial planning and accounting practices as well as its relationship with financial institutions and auditors. The CFO provides strategic financial advice, analysis and recommendations to the COO and CEO. It includes analysing financial information and the preparation of financial reports as required by legislation to meet the Organisation’s Action Plan. The CFO is responsible for reporting to and supporting the Finance Audit and Compliance Committee and Investment Advisory Committee.
Key responsibilities for this role include:
Management of Systems and Processes
- Ensure the highest level of financial governance and drive compliance and effective internal financial policies and control procedures
- Oversee the year end audit process and liaise with external auditors, respond to audit management letters and ensure implementation of agreed recommendations
- Liaise with the Director of Finance on strategic and business plans
- Manage investments, with the direction of the Investment Advisory Committee and approval of the CEO
- Take a proactive approach to the continuous improvement of accounting, reporting, internal control systems and risk management procedures.
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Ensure meaningful budgets and accurate forecasts are produced, which are understood by those responsible for their management.
- Prepare reports for Board of Directors meetings and respond to requests for information from the Directors
- Prepare year end consolidated accounts and ensure they are accurate and presented on time
- Review month end reconciliations and ensure monthly reporting processes are in place and effective
- Ensure the General Ledger closed in accordance with timetable
- Undertake a review of management accounting reports to ensure they provide the most effective means for the management team to drive the business.
- Ensure the organisation meets relevant Federal and State legislative requirements and accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure all external government grants (State and Federal) are acquitted on time and within contractual obligations
- Manage all accounting functions and ensure complete integrity of financial systems for the management of cash, banking procedures, payroll and payments.
Essential skills required
- Tertiary qualifications in Accounting–CPA/CA
- 5+ years’ experience in senior-level finance or accounting position
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate internally with managers and senior executives
- Experience with MYOB and reporting applications such as Calxa
- Knowledge of relevant legislative requirements and governance
- High level experience working in the NFP sector and with Boards
- Proven experience managing all aspects of a Finance Department with a hands-on approach
- Commitment to working in a team environment and to the Principles of Surf Life Saving in NSW
- Proven ability to manage and coach team members to achieve strong performance
- Advanced Microsoft Office Skills
- Advanced ability to analyse data and to draw appropriate conclusions
- Advanced report writing skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work within tight deadlines and with a high degree of accuracy
- Some out of usual business hours, and travel will be required.
What’s in it for you?
- Attractive salary packaging options
- Work with a passionate volunteer group in an iconic organisation.
- Northern Beaches work location
Visit our website to obtain a copy of the position description - www.surflifesaving.com.au/get-involved/work-for-us or refer to the attachment below.