- Classification: Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award, Social and community services employee, Level 5, increment depending on skills and experience.
- Job type: Part time contract of 0.6 FTE or 3 days per week.
- Duration: Contracted until 30 June 2021 with a 3 month probationary period. Potential for extension subject to funding.
- Location: Adelaide city, South Australia on Kaurna land.
- Hourly pay: $39.94 to $41.74.
SARAA is an equal-opportunity employer. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, LGBTIQ+ people, and people with a disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
The South Australian Rainbow Advocacy Alliance Inc (SARAA) is a non-profit community organisation that advocates for the rights and wellbeing of LGBTIQ+ people in South Australia. Find out more about SARAA at www.saraa.org.au/about.
SARAA is currently working on several projects, including:
- Establishing a LGBTIQ+ Community Advisory Group to ensure community voices inform South Australian law, policy and program planning
- Advocating for decision-makers to make changes to promote LGBTIQ+ rights, for example improving transgender and gender diverse healthcare, abolishing the gay panic defence
- Providing support for LGBTIQ+ community members to attend the 2021 Better Together conference
- Running events to bring together the LGBTIQ+ community, for example IDAHOBIT forum and Ian Purcell Oration
About the position
SARAA is seeking a Policy and Project Officer to increase our capacity and lead the above projects with the support of the SARAA Board.
The main duties and responsibilities of this position include, but aren’t limited to:
- Conducting research and developing reports to influence key decision makers
- Engaging stakeholders and building relationships to show broad community support for LGBTIQ+ rights
- Ensuring the voices and needs of LGBTIQ+ people are heard and included in SARAA’s advocacy work
- Organising events to connect the LGBTIQ+ community
- Applying for funding to build SARAA’s capacity
- Engaging with journalists, writing media releases and pitching stories to promote LGBTIQ+ rights
- Managing SARAA’s social media and digital outreach
- Providing occasional administrative support to the SARAA Board
- Supporting SARAA to meet it’s contractual and funding obligations
- Complying with SARAA’s policies, for example work health and safety, child safety
Out of hours and weekend work may occasionally be required.
The Policy and Project Officer reports to the SARAA Board.
The Policy and Project Officer will share an office space at SHINE SA. SARAA will support all accessibility requirements wherever possible.
SARAA supports flexible working, for example working both from the office and home.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has high level written and verbal communication skills
- Can take ownership of projects and prioritise work for effective outcomes
- Is good at stakeholder engagement and good at building organisational relationships
- Has demonstrated experience working with the LGBTIQ+ community
- Has good knowledge of the current issues for LGBTIQ+ South Australians
- Has demonstrated high level organisational and time management skills
- Is able to work autonomously
- Has good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google applications and social media
The successful applicant must provide a satisfactory Department of Human Services Working with Children check before they’re employed and every 5 years.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t have all of the above characteristics. A passion for the work and willingness to learn is the most important thing.
What you’ll get out of this position
As SARAA’s Policy and Project Officer you’ll:
- Make an impact for and with the South Australian LGBTIQ+ community
- Be part of a passionate, supportive and inclusive team
- Lead and shape an emerging organisation
We’ll consider all applications based on experience and circumstance, not on written communication skills alone.
For more information contact Matthew Morris, Chair SARAA Board at email@example.com, using the subject line: Policy and Project Officer enquiry via EthicalJobs.