Reverse Garbage is Australia’s largest creative reuse, diverting industrial and commercial discards from landfill by educating and inspiring people to make reuse their first choice.
The two income streams for our environmental charity are retail – selling items that have been donated – and education.
Over 46 years Reverse Garbage has earned a solid reputation in the education, creative and environmental spaces. This role will promote and protect this unique brand, by engaging in public and networking activities, supporting our sustainability education program and other related partnership activities.
A comprehensive overview of this unique environmental charity will be found at www.reversegarbage.org.au
To manage the effective day-to-day running of the retail operation of this small community run social enterprise, the retail manager will be responsible for:
Being a creative reuse centre that relies predominantly on donations, this is a retail role with a difference. This role incorporates the expected responsibilities of managing a retail environment, but with unexpected and unpredictable stock – from disco balls, to bra clips, to teeth moulds.
Our customer base is as diverse as the resources we sell. In any day, you will interact with teachers, early educators, corporates, event managers, artists, DIY, theatre managers, set designers, community groups, charities, families… the list goes on.
This role will be responsible for:
- reviewing donation offers and accepting or declining (offering alternatives wherever possible)
- balancing incoming donations with space available in collaboration with operations manager and warehouse staff
- ensuring the retail floor presents the stock
- ordering stock of clay, paint and glue (the only new products we stock) and developing price points and margins
- maintaining a consistent approach to pricing
- identifying the reuse value of items
- modelling the standard for friendly, helpful, knowledgeable customer service
- monitor coordination of craft kits and identifying opportunities for new kits
- source new donors of interesting discards
- maintaining Vend to ensure it captures the data required for analysis. This data will help inform which donations to accept and decline
- managing the online shop
- curating orders for loose parts play kits for education
- working with the Communications Manager to promote the array of resources, kits, activities, events across all communication channels.
Team – staff and volunteers
This role currently manages three part-time retail staff, several casual cashiers who cover the weekend shifts, and a steady stream of volunteers: some who come for the love of the place, Duke of Edinburgh volunteers, and students, some who join us through programs with Department of Community and Justice and Department of State Revenue.
With one retail team member in attendance each day, the Retail Manager will need jump in to help on the counter during busy times, and cover lunch breaks.
This role will be responsible for:
- managing retail staff, including recruiting, scheduling and communications
- administration for volunteers through various Government Departments
- managing tasks for volunteers on the retail side of the organisation
- ensuring a high level of customer service focus
- training staff to empower them
- initiating, coordinating, and enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures
- ensuring all retail team members contribute to the workplace being maintained as a safe and clean retail environment.
- achieving planned retail targets and results
- preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analysing variances and initiating corrective actions
- manage and reconcile daily cash and EFT transactions from retail sales
- ensure the safe management of cash and daily/weekly financial records
- prepare and forward invoices for approval and payment
- confirm and forward staff pay records for approval and payment
- put creative reuse into practice within the organisation
- monthly written reports to the board
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- relevant qualification in retail management or equivalent business/retail/experience
- managing retail operations, including scheduling; managing staff and volunteers; establishing efficient processes for stock management; cash management and merchandising
- in all aspects of customer service in a retail setting
- in reviewing operating and financial statements and sales records to develop marketing and pricing strategies
- working with vintage and unusual stock
- in project managing merchandising and promotional activities in a retail setting
- providing high level customer service to face to face and telephone enquiries with clients and donors
- managing priorities effectively in a dynamic team environment
- using social media, cloud based software and related computing and communication technology
- in fostering a collaborative teamwork environment
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Knowledge of reuse principles
- Commitment to sustainability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- A passion for an inclusive and sustainable community
- Ensure the effective and efficient operation of the retail section of the organisation in line with priorities as set out in an agreed work plan
- Provide feedback to the CEO about ways to enhance retail services for the organisation
- Ensure a high level of communication and engagement with customers, staff and stakeholders
- Perform other duties as directed by the CEO in line with this job description
OPERATIONAL & HUMAN RESOURCES
- Participate as part of the staff team at all times
- Fulfil obligations under the RG Code of Conduct
- Support and train volunteers, interns and students working in retail roles and projects
WORKPLACE HEALTH & SAFETY
- Demonstrate leadership in the maintenance of safe workplace in the retail area for both workers and customers
- Actively promote safety and safe work practices
- Identify potential hazards in the workplace and ensure elimination and reduction of risk
Please click Apply Now and follow the instructions.