PV LAB Australia is a specialised test lab with a focus on quality assurance and risk evaluation for PV modules and components. Our independent lab is headquartered in Canberra, Australia. We test batches of solar panels ranging in size from just one panel through to statistical sampling of the large numbers needed for a solar farm. Working from home some of the time can be accommodated, but much of the work is laboratory based or in the field including remote locations across Australia. We are a small business of five people working part-time. We are currently located on campus at the ANU, but will soon be moving, probably to Fyshwick.
The role is up to 4 days per week, averaged across the year, but flexing between 3-5 days per week (or 6 days per week for on-site work). You will be responsible for managing the laboratory. This includes following laboratory test procedures, coordinating testing jobs, scheduling and allocating laboratory resources to see jobs through to completion. You may be required to manage testing at remote solar power plants. The role is a technical role, you will be trained in the tests that the laboratory conducts. You should be comfortable in a small business. You may be required to develop/improve business systems and processes to accommodate the dynamic nature of the work. The work is physical at times and solar panels can be both heavy and awkward to lift. Some days will require repeated manual work. The work is unpredictable in nature, and a spontaneous change of plans is not uncommon. Priority will be given to applicants with strong electrical skills.
- You have technical science, electrical or electronic experience;
- You are interested in and/or have experience in renewable energy and solar power;
- You value thoroughness, precision and detail;
- Strong (English) written and verbal communication skills;
- You are able to assess and coordinate external service providers such as calibration authorities for our regular equipment calibrations;
- You are a highly organised person that enjoys detail and working with other people, but are not flustered by needs to re-schedule and/or an unpredictable workflow;
- You enjoy a changeable environment;
- You are fluent in Microsoft Excel and Word;
- Basic knowledge of computer programming is a bonus; and
- Experience in a scientific environment is a bonus.
- Conducting laboratory tests, according to procedure while managing laboratory assistants;
- Maintaining test records;
- Coordinating deliveries of new test samples and pickups of samples that have been completed;
- Ensuring job and test records are completed;
- Analysing test results and compiling outcomes into client reports and
- Opportunity for occasional on-site work (travel) visiting large scale solar farms for on-site quality assurance.
- Technical aptitude;
- Previous experience in an electrical, electronic or scientific work environment;
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate time and resources accommodating multiple constraints;
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills;
- Computer literacy;
- Persistence and following up on tasks and jobs until completion and follow through.
The following will be viewed advantageously
- Experience with electrical work environment;
- Renewable energy and solar power experience and
- Experience in project management or coordination type roles.
- Reports to: Managing partners;
- Location: Canberra;
- Rates: 35 to 50 $/hour plus super, depending on experience;
- Travel: not required but possible;
- Status: part time / casual, possible progression to permanent and
- PV Lab Australia aims to be as diverse as possible. We are an equal opportunity employer and people who identify as ATSI, coming from a non-English speaking background, women, people with disability or LGBTQ+ are encouraged to apply.
- Salary range: $72-90k per annum