The Portsea Camp has a proud history supporting Victorian children and families – in particular those who, for a range of reasons, might be doing it tough. The camp has its origins in the mid-1940s and is a registered charity governed by a board of directors. It gives children and young people access to experiences they would not otherwise have. It’s a community of staff, volunteers and campers coming from all over metropolitan Melbourne and rural Victoria. The camp is enjoyed and cherished by more than 10,000 children and 250 volunteers annually. The Portsea Camp strives to help children, their families and the community be healthy, happy and well.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE
- Plan menus and order quality supplies from reputable suppliers as required
- Hire, train, supervise and motivate permanent and casual staff
- Organise staff rosters
- Ensure health and safety regulations are strictly observed, records are kept and archived
- Monitor the quality of the product and service provided
- Monitor budgets and maintain records
- Support on-site groups
- Develop an equipment maintenance schedule and ensure equipment is properly maintained
- Ensure the kitchen is run in accordance with health regulations for the receipt, storage, preparation and serving of food
- Ensure exemplary hygiene standards are followed
- Oversee and implement food preparation guidelines for food allergy management where applicable
- Operate large-volume cooking equipment such as a grill, deep-fat fryers, and barbeques
- Foods are cooked, stored and served in accordance to Aus food standards
- Prepare & serve high quality, fresh and nutritious, excellent in both presentation and taste
- Ensure staff are supported and supervised
- Ensure incident reports are completed and provided to the Camp Operations Manager for any serious work injury / illness
- Adhere to food preparation guidelines for food allergy management where applicable
- Ensure all kitchen equipment is stored in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
Qualifications and Experience:
- Australian recognised Commercial Cookery qualification
- Minimum Cert IV or Diploma Commercial cookery and 3+ years experience cooking in a commercial environment
- HACCP Level 2/3 certification.
- Sound knowledge of Food Safety Standards, relevant legislation and statutory obligations.
- Valid Working With Children Check
- Strong planning and organisation skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work as a member of a team
- An ability to work flexibly and adaptively
A position description is attached.