- Must have a Current Practicing Certificate
- Minimum of 2 years post admission experience in legal services preferable with Indigenous and Native Title (other suitable experience would be considered)
- Exceptional Benefits – Salary Sacrificing, RDOs, company phone and laptop, 5 weeks annual leave, wellness and clothing packages
- 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
The company’s main aims are to ensure the heritage and culture of the indigenous people they represent, advise about legal issues, resolve native title litigation, negotiate agreements with mining companies and other organisations and seek outcomes that provide a strong legacy for the people. To do this the values of company are respect, professionalism, integrity and collaboration. The company strives to do this by providing a range of professional services to their clients.
Major clients include: Prescribed bodies corporate, aboriginal corporations, native title claimants and common law holders.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a confident Lawyer who has worked with Indigenous People and Native Title, or has litigation and negotiation skills to utilise in this field, to join a well-funded and unique operation as it continues to grow. You will be qualified and intelligent and wanting to work with a dedicated team to make a difference.
What will make you the successful candidate?
- Current Practicing Certificate
- Minimum of 2 years post admission experience in legal services preferably with Indigenous and Native Title
- Effective project management and problem-solving skills
- Negotiation skills
- Litigation experience
- Verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience working in regional or rural Australia with Indigenous people
- Experience in mediation or capacity to be an effective mediator
- Sound understanding of the requirements of good corporate governance
- Familiarity with: Native Title Act 1993 and The Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006
- Ability to be able to travel both Intrastate.
The key function of this role is to have day to day responsibility of assigned advice, litigation and negotiation matters and deal with associated legal matters effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure assigned work is conducted in a professional and efficient manner pursuant to the functions of a native title body
- Providing advice and assisting clients with all necessary legal matters
- Represent clients in proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia, National Native Title Tribunal, Warden’s Court and other Jurisdictions as required from time to time
- Collaborate with third parties who wish to assist or engage with company’s clients in order to advance clients’ interests.
- Prepare trimonthly reports on assigned matters
- Participate in meetings related to teamwork
- Identifying strategic opportunities arising from legal work