- Full-time, fixed-term contract to commence immediately
- Generous Salary Packaging and professional development opportunities available
Pilbara Community Legal Service Inc. (PCLS) is a not-for-profit community legal service that provides a range of services to the Pilbara community including legal assistance, financial counselling, tenancy advocacy and support, domestic violence advocacy and support, migrant settlement services and redress support services. PCLS is a well-established and highly valued part of the Pilbara social infrastructure with offices in Karratha, Roebourne, South Hedland and Newman.
Reporting to the Principal Solicitor, the successful applicant will be responsible for providing legal advice, casework and community legal education across a range of legal areas including restraining orders, family law, child protection, wills and deceased estates, criminal injuries compensation and more.
- Current unrestricted legal practicing certificate from the Legal Practice Board of Western Australia, with at least three years’ post-admission experience.
- Broad general knowledge and demonstrated experience across the main areas of law of a generalist CLC (e.g. Family Law, Restraining Orders, Criminal Injuries Compensation, Wills and Estates).
- Experience developing and presenting Community Legal Education.
- Excellent legal research, interpersonal and written communication skills with the ability to interact sensitively and effectively with a broad range of stakeholders including Aboriginal and CaLD clients, community groups, government and non-government agencies.
- Ability to work under pressure and to apply contemporary problem-solving techniques through effective case management.
- A strong commitment to social justice and access to justice issues.
- Ability to travel to conduct outreach
- Knowledge of Aboriginal culture and an understanding of issues facing Aboriginal people, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Current ‘C’ Class Drivers License
- Experience supervising other staff will be well considered.