National Disability Services (NDS) is Australia's peak body for non-government disability service organisations, representing over 1200 service providers and their workforce of over 150 thousand people who collectively provide support services for nearly 2 million people with disability.
NDS has a strong and influential presence in every state and territory across Australia. Our core functions are to advocate to government for sector-wide changes and improvements, to inform our members about issues that impact them, and to provide resources and services that assist them to deliver sustainable high quality support services for people with disability.
NDS employees have the passion to make a difference, are driven to deliver the highest quality support and services to our members, and thrive in an environment of positive change and continuous improvement. If this sounds like you, check out this opportunity below! Or, to find out more about NDS, please visit our website.
About the Role
- Full-time, 38 hours, 5 days per week
- Sydney, or any other capital city location
The Head of Workforce is responsible for leading NDS’s work in the workforce space and includes:
- Supporting the delivery of overall NDS strategy
- Designing strategy to drive and influence change in disability services workforce
- Supporting the development of policy positions to influence government approach to disability workforce development
- Developing a skills and knowledge base with a stable resource base
- Delivering aligned projects that support the delivery of the workforce strategy as well as the disability sector more generally
Policy & Advocacy:
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of, and provide policy advice to NDS on, all matters relating to the continuing development of the disability sector workforce
- Advocate on operational and wider policy issues concerning the disability sector workforce, including labour supply, working conditions, qualifications, access to development and leadership
- Organise or participate in organising forums, workshops, seminars, training events and conferences, and attend such events relating to disability sector workforce development
- Coordinate and lead national communities of practice that relate to disability sector workforce development
- Provide advice and support to the NDS Executive Team, Board and Divisional Committees as required
- Identify, secure and coordinate the delivery of relevant projects across all states and territories relating to disability services workforce development
- Contribute to the development of standard project management tools and processes that support successful project outcomes
- Develop project management skills and capabilities within the Workforce practice to support successful project outcomes
- Build NDS knowledge, expertise and capabilities in workforce that can be leveraged for new projects
Internal Stakeholder Engagement:
- Work with State and Territory managers and the Business Development Manager to identify, design and secure projects that address sector workforce needs
- Establish and maintain information-sharing mechanisms with State & Territory Managers to keep them abreast of current projects, progress, completions and evaluations and ensure any issues and concerns are identified and managed
- Leverage, build, support and contribute to the maintenance of relationships State & Territory Managers hold with current and potential project funders and partners
- Work closely with other Heads of practice areas to identify synergies across all NDS projects
External Stakeholder Engagement:
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with government, business, disability service providers and other relevant bodies
- Actively manage intergovernmental relations, advocate and network with government and other relevant bodies on related public policy issues. Work in conjunction with Sate and Territory Managers on state government relations
- Effectively represent NDS on consultative and other advisory bodies as required
- Make presentations at a range of forums including members’ meetings, seminars, parliamentary committees and conferences
Leadership & Management:
- Develop, implement and report on strategic, operational and business plans for the Workforce Practice division, aligned with NDS’s strategic direction
- In partnership with CEO, COO and Head of Policy and Advocacy, oversee the management of all financial, corporate and governance requirements for the Workforce Practice division
- Work collaboratively across NDS’s internal divisions and corporate services
- Lead and manage the Workforce Practice division in accordance with NDS policy and procedures
- Role model and demonstrate alignment with NDS organisational values
Other Responsibilities (applicable for all NDS employees):
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required by manager/supervisor from time to time
- Comply with NDS’s policies and procedures at all times, including (but not limited to) HR, Quality, Work Health & Safety (WHS), IT, Security, and Data Privacy
- Demonstrate the NDS values of respect, teamwork & collaboration, leadership, innovation and accountability in all interactions
Desired Skills and Experience
Skills & Experience:
- A strong understanding of, and ability to advocate on operational and policy issues concerning disability sector workforce
- High level consultation, communication and interpersonal skills with the demonstrated capacity to build relationships, engage with a range of internal and external stakeholders and navigate different and competing interests
- Capability to lead and contribute at a local and national level to ensure sustainable outcomes aligned to national policies, legislation and NDS’s strategic direction
- Demonstrated knowledge and a contemporary understanding of the disability sector including workforce, quality and safeguards, the NDIS, industrial relations/employee relations
- An understanding of public policy processes, with knowledge of wider disability policy and allied areas of human service policy would be highly desirable
- Business acumen skills including establishing and delivering a strategy and supporting business plans, as well as managing an associated P&L.
- Project management capability and a track record of successfully delivering a range of projects
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and working collaboratively within a team environment
- Innovative thinking and problem-solving skills to implement solutions aligned to NDS’ strategic direction
- Demonstrated evidence of adaptability and resilience in a changing business context
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office Suite
- A tertiary qualification in a social sciences, social policy or human resources is desirable but not essential
- Capacity to undertake regular travel within the state, and nationally as needed
What We Offer
- Flexible working opportunities
- Salary packaging benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Staff Rewards & Discounts program
- Learning and development opportunities
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and value diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We encourage all applicants, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, LGBTIQ and culturally diverse communities to join NDS.
NDS will provide reasonable adjustments for individuals with disability throughout the recruitment process. If you identify as a person with disability and require adjustments to the application, recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise via firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Head of Workforce - Flexible Location enquiry via EthicalJobs or 02 9256 3141 and indicate your preferred method of communication (email or phone).
Please send your CV and a cover letter outlining your Skills & Experience in the areas listed above by clicking on the "Apply Now" button. For further information please contact email@example.com. Please do not send your application to this email address, as it's for enquiries only.
The successful applicant must be prepared to undertake a pre-employment police check. In addition, due to the inherent work, health and safety considerations and legislative requirements of this role, they must also be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (i.e. double dosed plus recommended booster doses) prior to commencing any work, unless medically exempt.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No agencies please.