- Permanent part time role; 24 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
MJD Foundation is a charity, established in 2008 that works in partnership with Aboriginal Australians, their families and communities living with Machado-Joseph Disease. Our goal is to provide comprehensive support and engage in research to provide hope for the future. The organisation adapts a relationship-based approach that honours 'Our Way'. The ‘Our Way’ approach values and respects a ‘two-way’ approach, delivering supports that are flexible and responsive to the needs of our clients, and reflecting the diverse cultural and linguistic needs of families.
The purpose of the Family Support Worker is to assist the Manager, Community Services by providing intensive services and support to families. This includes assessing client and family needs, planning, providing information and referrals and liaising with and providing access and participation to community groups, welfare agencies, and government bodies. The Family Support Worker provides high quality, responsive and culturally appropriate support to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander families, utilising their experience and professional knowledge in the community and/or disability services sector.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Reporting to the Manager, Community Services QLD, there are several components to this important role including:
- Provide transport and support to clients to undertake everyday activities, such as shopping, banking, visiting and spending time with family, attending to household tasks and exercising
- Provide transport for clients to attend appointments, recording and reporting notes where required. These appointments include, but not limited to Centrelink, Housing visits, Schools and Health Clinics
- Provide transport and support for clients to attend and participate in social and community activities such as local events
- Provide support where required to the Manager, Community Services QLD for 'On Country' days, therapy session and other group events
- Support with therapy under the supervision of an Allied Health professional
- Support clients on respite or to travel locally or interstate as required
CASE MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION
- Provide written case notes and update client files
- Attend QLD team meetings to determine priorities/responsibilities
- Collect MJD Foundation mail from Cairns PO Box
- Process all data and administration of fuel cards and safety equipment
- Complete NDIS timesheets
- Raise community awareness of MJD and SCA7
- Advocate on behalf of affected individuals and families
- Have knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their communities and cultures from an historical and contemporary perspective
- Have strong communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and in accordance with community protocols and customs
- Have previous experience working with people living with a disability or caring for the elderly
- Be able to demonstrate a mature and person-centred approach
- Be of sound physical fitness and demonstrate personal resilience
- Be flexible in your availability, as routines may need to change at times
- Hold a current, valid QLD class C Drivers Licence and QLD Industry Authority license (or willingness to obtain)
- Be willing to undergo NDIS Worker Screening (must be completed before commencement)
- Be willing to travel in light aircraft
- Be willing to adhere to National/MJDF adopted vaccination policies
Qualifications in either health and/or community services or experience in disability/aged care or allied health will be highly regarded as will good computer skills and understanding of Machado Joseph Disease or other Ataxias.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.