Who is MindFreedom?
MindFreedom Australia is the Australian affiliate of MindFreedom International.
MindFreedom International is a nonprofit organisation that unites sponsor and affiliate grassroots groups with thousands of individual members to win human rights and alternatives for people labeled with psychiatric disabilities.
MindFreedom is one of the very few totally independent groups in the mental health field with no funding from or control by governments, drug companies, religions, corporations, or the mental health system. MindFreedom International is a nonprofit under IRS 501(c)(3) that is the only group of its kind accredited by the United Nations as a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) with Consultative Roster Status.
“In a spirit of mutual cooperation, MindFreedom leads a nonviolent revolution of freedom, equality, truth and human rights that unites people affected by the mental health system with movements for justice everywhere.”
- Win human rights campaigns in mental health.
- Challenge abuse by the psychiatric drug industry.
- Support the self-determination of psychiatric survivors and mental health consumers.
- Promote safe, humane and effective options in mental health.
MindFreedom Australia is looking for volunteers in the areas of psychiatry, psychology, social work, allied health, law, politics or social sciences to join the fight against human rights abuses.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA:
- A lived experience of diverse mental health needs is desirable.
- Knowledge or experience of the issues facing persons under compulsory treatment regimes or involuntary psychiatric detention in Australian jurisdictions.
- Tertiary education in psychiatry, psychology, social work, allied health (or any other relevant discipline).
- Registration with the AHRPA (psychiatry), APS (psychology), AASW (social work) or relevant professional body highly desirable.
- Demonstrates a commitment to advocating for the human rights of persons labelled with psychiatric disabilities.
- Demonstrates understanding of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
- Demonstrated ability to understand and apply legislation and policies, including the ability to identify issues, problem solve and negotiate.
- Demonstrated written communications skills with experience writing letters, reports, case notes and submissions.
- Sound verbal communications skills and professional presentation.
- Current Police Check and Working with Children Check highly desirable
- Health Volunteers (psychiatry, psychology, social work, allied health) will be responsible for conducting mental health assessments and authoring medico-legal reports as expert witnesses at Mental Health Tribunals in Australia. Health Volunteers will have the opportunity to act as expert witnesses at Tribunal hearings.
- Students and those with provisional registration strongly encouraged to apply.
- MindFreedom Australia is based in Melbourne, Victoria with partners in NSW and SA. MindFreedom Australia is looking for State Organisers and Board Members in all states and territories.