- Full time, One-year contract with a possibility of extension
About Migration Council Australia
Migration Council Australia (MCA) is a national not-for-profit body that provides strategic research and policy advice in relation to migration, settlement and social cohesion.
MCA works across sectors to promote effective participation of migrants and refugees.
In addition to the research and policy development work, MCA facilitates national strategies and programs that focus on:
- Access to justice for migrants and refugees
- Empowerment and representation of migrant and refugee women, and supporting them to enhance their independence, participation and wellbeing
- Access to health care for migrants and refugees
- Violence prevention in migrant and refugee communities
- Economic participation of newly settled refugees and other migrants
- Recognition and promotion of innovation in settlement.
About the position
The successful applicant will be required work across a range of policy objectives and programs, with a particular focus on social policy issues affecting migrant and refugee communities.
- Undertake research on current policies and issues affecting Australia’s migrants and refugees, through desktop analysis and consultation with relevant stakeholders
- Provide support to committees, including member liaison and meetings coordination
- Prepare policy briefs and other material for internal and public dissemination
- Assist colleagues with the preparation and distribution of information (e.g. media releases, reports, website and social media content) to stakeholders
- Carry out other duties as requested by supervisor.
The mix of activities in this role varies in accordance with work priorities and can shift from week to week. Flexibility, versatility and resourcefulness are essential in our small team. Travel will be required at times to successfully perform this role.
Key selection criteria
- A solid and demonstrated understanding of social policy areas as it relates to migrants and refugees.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including an ability to develop clear, targeted messages and to communicate with influence;
- Prior experience with stakeholder engagement and management.
- Proven analytical and research skills;
- Self-motivation and ability to deal with a high level of responsibility;
- Strong computer literacy skills.
- Adaptability and the ability to work collaboratively within a small team.
- Experience working in the non-profit sector
- Knowledge of government and public policy processes
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the issues of migrants and refugees
- Experience in providing quality policy analysis and advice
- Experience in committee support
- Formal qualifications in a relevant discipline
A Position Description is attached below.