- Merri Health - Victims Assistance Program
- Hume Region Victoria
- An exciting opportunity exists for a full-time Victim Support Worker in a dynamic and supportive team that provides a range of services to clients who have been affected by violent crime.
- The VAP office is based in Wangaratta and this role requires outreach across the Hume region and possible co-location with other organisations as required.
Your new organisation
At Merri Health, we strive to enrich diverse communities through the provision of quality health care and support services. A career at Merri will see you contributing to a culture that affects change for our clients and the wider community. We are committed to supporting the talent and skills of our employees because we know their capability is the key to our success.
Your new role
As a Victims Support Worker you will be responsible for:
- Providing case management services for victims of violent crime including: support through the criminal justice system,
- Practical support, assessment, case planning, advocacy, education and referral,
- Promoting recovery through providing a range of mental health and well-being supports including: psychological first aid,
- Safety planning, risk assessment and assisted referral to formal therapeutic interventions,
- Liaising with internal and external services to maintain relevant links and networks to strengthen services to victims of crime,
- Providing centre based, outreach and co-located services as appropriate.
What you’ll need to succeed
To be successful with Merri you will go above and beyond to achieve great results for our clients, the organisation and yourself. We’re looking for individuals with:
- Tertiary Qualification in Social Work or other related discipline determined as appropriate by Merri Health
- An understanding of issues for people affected by violent crime
- Sound knowledge base and demonstrated experience in working with trauma and recovery
- Demonstrated experience and skills in information provision, intake, risk assessment and case management
- Experience/knowledge of basic counselling techniques, utilising a variety of intervention methods
- Effective interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written)
- The successful candidate will also have the capacity to work creatively, demonstrate initiative, contribute ideas and be active in a supportive team environment
What we offer
We offer a diverse, inclusive and flexible environment which encourages you to bring your whole self to work. As the successful applicant you’ll be joining an organisation where you will be supported to grow, learn and develop your skills to reach your potential.
You will also enjoy excellent benefits including attractive remuneration, generous salary packaging and purchase leave options and opportunities for ongoing training and professional development.