Working as part of a multi-disciplinary Community Engagement team, the Events and Volunteering Officer is responsible for leading the development, coordination and delivery of events and activities for Meridian’s communities. The Officer is also responsible for delivering Meridian’s volunteer program. Decision making and problem solving skills are required for the routine and complex tasks undertaken as part of the role
The work of the Officer plays a key role in events that celebrate diversity, strengthen community and empower individuals to connect and contribute to the community.
- Initiate, plan, co-ordinate and evaluate Meridian’s major annual event known as Fair Day.
- Initiate, plan, co-ordinate and evaluate events for members, Volunteer and Key Stakeholder as required.
- Work collaboratively with the Health Promotion Team on HIV events including ; Candlelight Memorial and World AIDS Day
- Contribute to the creation, planning, coordination and delivery of other possible events including:
- Rainbow Families events
- Other smaller ad hoc events as required.
- Effectively and efficiently co-ordinate and manage logistics related to Meridian events including;
- Rostering of staff and volunteers
- Bump in/Bump out of furniture, structures and equipment
- Equipment hire and/or purchase
- Setup/pack up/clean up
- Risk management planning and mitigating
- Evaluate Meridian’s annual program of community events using Meridian’s Contribution to Change (monitoring and evaluating) framework
- Work in partnership with the community to support networks and facilitate local participation and access to events and activities, including working with volunteers, community stalls and supporting other organisation’s events as required
- Prepare promotional materials for events and maintain a high level of public display and information relating to events across multiple channels
- Provide input, adhere to and manage event budgets
- Coordination and monitoring of risk management for all event operations and strategies
- Ensure all legislative and regulatory requirements are complied with including WHS and all relevant permits and licenses
- Incorporate consistent project management frameworks across all events, activities and functions, including setting priorities, rostering, delegation of tasks and ensuring a high standard of record keeping
- Work cohesively with event partners, other stakeholders and volunteers to deliver events
- Under the guidance and support of the Manager Community Engagement and other senior staff, recruit and organise training for volunteers to ensure they are appropriately skilled for volunteer activities.
- Effectively support the relationships between the volunteers and relevant stakeholders
- Identify opportunities to enhance volunteer engagement and satisfaction through innovation in the volunteer program
- Monitor, support and motivate volunteers and their work
- Manage the volunteer data base including tracking information, hours, roles and participation, and maintaining privacy of information
- Develop and deliver a regular program of volunteer communications including email, postal mail and social media
- Ongoing evaluation and monitoring of the volunteer program
- Contribute to management of membership data base including tracking information, renewals, payments, and participate in membership drives
Team and Organisation (20%)
- Assist in the delivery of training and education programs
- Participating effectively as a team member, including assisting other team members when required and contributing to the broader strategic goals of the organisation
- Supporting and promoting a strong work health safety culture
- Demonstrating a strong commitment to a culture of quality, continuous improvement and service excellence
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Reinforcing and promoting the principles of diversity and inclusion and modelling Meridian’s values
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND KEY ATTRIBUTES
- Demonstrated experience in event coordination, delivery and community engagement
- Demonstrated experience in applying project management frameworks and delivering and administering projects in accordance with organisational goals, timelines and budgets
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Strong representational and interpersonal skills including the ability to influence and resolve organisational issues and develop and motivate others
- High attention to detail, with a high level of written and verbal communication skills delivered to a range of diverse audiences.
- Intuitive thinker who can adapt to a varying workload, utilise resources effectively and switch easily between strategy-level thinking and daily routine tasks.
- Proven ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and collaboratively in a team-based environment to meet the needs of management, community and stakeholders.
- A demonstrated high level of competency in using computers, including the Windows environment and Microsoft Office applications
- Proven ability to be proactive, use initiative, exercise judgement, problem-solve and make decisions within the context and delegations of the position.
- Current Driver’s License is essential.
A position description is attached.
All those considering applying should phone Lee Caldwell or Joshua Anlezark (02) 6257 2855 to discuss the position in the first instance.