Location: Negotiable (if based outside Melbourne, occasional travel to Melbourne will be required)
Starting salary: $73,840 pro-rata. This position is advertised at 0.8 full time equivalent, corresponding to a salary of $59,072. Note that as Market Forces is a Friends of the Earth Affiliate, this position will be employed by Friends of the Earth Australia.
Term: Four days per week (0.8 full-time equivalent) to December 31, 2022 with a view to renewal should requisite funding be available to sustain the position. Flexibility in working hours will be required at times.
Position reports to: Asset Management Campaigner, Market Forces
Key attributes required:
- Passion for protecting the environment and bringing about progressive social change.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- High level of personal organisation.
- Skills and experience in constituent relationship management, and handling of personal information.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Able to motivate and lead activists and volunteers.
- Tolerant and patient approach to managing volunteers and activists.
- Experience working with people across various social, economic and cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Able to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Understanding issues relating to climate change, energy, and shareholder rights a bonus.
- Experience working in a non-government or advocacy organisation desirable.
- Understanding the rights of shareholders and requirements of corporate governance desirable.
Summary of key tasks and duties:
- Empower and coordinate stakeholders of financial institutions to support Market Forces’ objectives.
- Design and organise public activities and events designed to bring people power to bear on financial institutions and companies as part of Market Forces campaigns.
- Engage and support the supporter base of Market Forces to maximize the number of people taking action as part of our campaigns.
- Liaise with other organisations working on corporate governance, environmental protection, human rights and other significant issues in order to coordinate efforts to hold companies accountable for their impacts on people and the environment.
Logistics and expenses
Market Forces can provide office space for this position in Melbourne. For other locations, provision of office space and equipment would need to be negotiated between the employee, and management of Market Forces and Friends of the Earth Australia.
Market Forces will cover costs incurred as a result of campaign work (e.g. travel, accommodation) but costs are to always be agreed beforehand with the employee’s direct report.