About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the Role
Join our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Family Based Care team as a Cultural Support Planner in our Southern Sydney team on a maximum term, full time contract through to May 2021.
This position is responsible for the development, review and implementation of Cultural Support Plans for children and young people of Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander descent.
- Develop cultural support plans for the families, children and young people in family based care, in partnership with children and young people, carers and a multidisciplinary team.
- Work with community and stakeholders to ensure children and young people achieve the goals within their cultural support plan.
- Develop connections for children and young people with community
- Progress, deliver and support cultural awareness programs, activities and other training
- Promote, support and monitor LWB’s compliance with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander placement principles and related standards.
- Support and promote engagement with local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities and community groups.
- Develop, promote and maintain linkages with state-wide and national specialist and peak Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander bodies.
Skills and Experience
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Social Science, Community Development, Social Work or related discipline, and/or demonstrated knowledge and experience working with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities.
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals, families and communities from a strength-based, culturally appropriate perspective.
- Extensive knowledge of issues impacting on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities in contemporary society and a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Current Drivers Licence.
- Partner with communities and stakeholders to change lives for the better
- Develop cultural support plans for children and young people
- Must be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
Please note the following:
- Life Without Barriers considers that being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent is a genuine occupational requirement as outlined in section 25 of the Anti-Discrimination Act (1991) and permitted as a 'special measure' under section 8 of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth) and by articles 1(4) and 2(2) of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
- You will be required to provide contact details for a cultural referee who can comment on your knowledge of issues impacting on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities in contemporary society and your ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The cultural referee must identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person.
- You may be requested to provide confirmation that you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply Now’ and follow the prompts.
For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander Cultural Support Planner enquiry via EthicalJobs.
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here.