KWILS is a small, not for profit, community legal service providing legal advice, information and representation to women in Katherine and surrounding regions.
KWILS has been operating for over 22 years, with an established reputation; the service delivers high quality, trauma informed services, offering a unique experience for a suitable candidate.
About the role
The Principal Legal Officer is a key leadership role in the KWILS team. The PLO is responsible for KWILS legal service provision to women across the Katherine region.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensure the quality of advice, casework, referrals and legal work undertaken by the service is maintained at a high standard
- Oversee and ensure all legal work and data collection undertaken complies with the Legal Profession Act NT, NACLC Risk Management Guidelines, Professional Indemnity Insurance contract, any reasonable requirements of the NT Law Society and in accordance with the KWILS policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain legal casework and advice intake guidelines.
- Supervise and mentor legal staff
- Manage and implement service delivery in line with funding specifications
- Live & work in a culturally diverse regional location.
- Competitive salary package.
- Salary Packaging Benefits.
- Flexible workplace conditions.
Skills and experience
- Eligible to be admitted to practice as a Solicitor in the Northern Territory
- Eligible to hold a current, unrestricted practicing certificate.
- 5 years post admission experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of legal casework.
- Experience in supervising staff.
- Demonstrated cross cultural awareness
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of the issues facing women, families and communities in isolated circumstances or willingness to quickly develop that knowledge.
- Strong planning, research and organisational skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated Operational & Strategic experience.
- Meet the requirements for staff under NT child protection legislation and criminal history, throughout employment in the position
- Maintain current Class 'C' driver's license, throughout employment in the position.
- Your employment will be subject to National Criminal Records Check to determine your suitability for employment
- This role requires some remote travel
For further information, please contact Brooke Brenner on 08 8972 1712.