knowmore Legal Service is seeking volunteer Paralegals to join our legal team in Brisbane and to work alongside other Paralegals and Administration Officers. Days and hours of working are negotiable. Several vacancies.
About knowmore Legal Service:
knowmore is a nation-wide, free and independent mainstream community legal centre providing legal information, advice, representation and referrals, education and systemic advocacy for victims and survivors of child abuse. knowmore uses a multidisciplinary model bringing together intake officers, lawyers, social workers and counsellors, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander engagement advisors and financial counsellors to provide trauma-informed, client-centred and culturally safe legal assistance.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision and direction of the Managing Lawyer and volunteer coordinator, provide support to the legal team, including but not limited to:
- Assisting lawyers and paralegals with the day-to-day management of client files including the recording of information into the database and drafting of correspondence and documents
- Undertaking legal and other required research
- Coordinating record requests and related enquires
- Collating records for personal injury compensation referrals
- Liaising with knowmore panel lawyers in relation to arrangements for referrals
- Analysing client records to assist with statement and National Redress Scheme applications preparation
- Assisting clients with enquires and coordinating both internal and external appointments
- Assisting with drafting and revision of community legal education materials
- Perform routine and general office and administration duties in accordance with policies and procedures
- Undertake other duties and projects as directed by the volunteer coordinator and/or Managing Lawyer
- Applicants should have completed or be completing a Bachelor of Laws or equivalent postgraduate degree to be eligible to apply
- Be available to work unpaid, for a minimum of one day a week, for a period agreed with the Managing Lawyer and volunteer coordinator
- Maintain a flexible collegial and professional approach to working within a multi-disciplinary team
- Maintain ability to work independently and also contribute positively as a part of a team
- Maintain a high level of attention to detail in all activities but especially in record keeping, data entry, drafting legal correspondence and filing
- Maintain high standards of discretion and show ability to handle difficult situations with tact and sensitivity and when appropriate refer to a more appropriate colleague
- Work creatively to develop or adapt systems to increase efficient working
Qualifications and other requirements:
A relevant tertiary qualification is relevant (or working towards).
The successful candidate will be required to satisfactorily complete a National Police Records Check and a Working with Children Check.