This is a unique opportunity to work in an exceptional women's health organisation - making a positive and critical difference in women's lives. We are seeking an experienced applicant for a permanent part time (2 days/week) who will provide trauma informed nursing care and community education, within a feminist and social determinants of health framework. This includes providing a service to women of all ages and cultural backgrounds including clinical services, education and health promotion programs (one-on-one, group and community) and preventative health care provided in a sensitive, non-judgmental manner, as well as supporting the practice doctors to undertake contraceptive and termination procedures.
Description of Duties
- To undertake cervical screening, pregnancy counselling, contraceptive counselling, pre and post HIV test counselling as well as provide information about termination and pregnancy choices, sexual health and other women’s health issues.
- Provide one to one education and information to women who utilise the Centre’s services
- Develop and implement health promotion/educational programs or workshops.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of all client contacts including phone, and ensure that all clinical tests are appropriately followed up.
- Manage medical stock and order medical supplies/equipment as necessary
- Maintain appropriate accreditation/registration to practise the duties of a nurse including the provision of clinical, educational and counselling services
- Act as a resource for other staff about clinical service provision and women’s health promotion and work in consultation with other clinical staff to ensure a consistent approach to the provision of clinical services, including through the attendance of regular clinical meetings between clinical staff.
- Continue to undertake training on an on-going basis to develop and up- date skills.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE MUST HAVE:
- Appropriate qualifications as a Registered Nurse and have at least two years post graduate nursing experience (preferably in women's health)
- A demonstrated understanding of women's health issues, and an understanding of the needs of women from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Understanding and experience in health promotion.
- Feminist understanding/analysis of women’s issues/women’s health issues
- Be able to actively listen, build relationships and communicate sensitively.
The successful applicant will be offered a permanent part-time contract starting immediately. A remuneration package commensurate with professional experience will be offered, based on the Nurses Award. The Illawarra Women's Health Centre is a union supporting workplace.
Our services are provided only to women. We consider being a woman is a genuine occupational qualification for this position under section 31 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW) and sections 30 of the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth).
A position description is attached.